jyuan_us  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 06:24
Member (2005)
English to Chinese
+ ...
It is not only about the copyright problem Feb 4, 2015

DLyons wrote:

These people claim to be professionals, but are infringing on other people's valid copyrights.

[Edited at 2015-02-04 08:08 GMT]

[Edited at 2015-02-04 08:09 GMT]

It is a significant issue for our peer translators more in that these people may get more jobs just because they used a celebrity's picture.

564354352 (X)
564354352 (X)  Identity Verified
Denmark
Local time: 12:24
Danish to English
+ ...
Of course copyright abuse is an important issue Feb 4, 2015

I just can't get worked up about a few translators having fun with ridiculous images, that's all.

I would have thought that a collegial helping hand and some kind advice would be more appropriate, but that's just me. Not a case of sweeping something under the carpet, just about being friendly...

DLyons
DLyons  Identity Verified
Ireland
Local time: 11:24
Spanish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Illegal behaviour is not fun. Feb 4, 2015

Gitte Hovedskov, MCIL wrote:

I just can't get worked up about a few translators having fun with ridiculous images, that's all.

I would have thought that a collegial helping hand and some kind advice would be more appropriate, but that's just me. Not a case of sweeping something under the carpet, just about being friendly...

Again you are minimizing this - they are not "ridiculous" images, they are carefully chosen to mislead.

As I said, I made this known and was ignored.

nordiste
nordiste  Identity Verified
France
English to French
+ ...
Who is being gullible ? Feb 4, 2015

DLyons wrote:

Again you are minimizing this - they are not "ridiculous" images, they are carefully chosen to mislead.

As I said, I made this known and was ignored.

Misleading ?

Who will seriously assume that George Clooney or Kevin Spacey or whatever celebrity is offering translation services over Proz.com ? Clients are serious people, not teenage fans of celebrities.

It is up to every freelancer to choose the image they think is the best to advertise their business, and to ive with the consequences of their decision.

If there are copyright issues it is up to the owner (or to Proz.com) to take legal action.

DLyons
Ireland
Spanish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
The intent is to mislead Feb 4, 2015

nordiste wrote:

Misleading ?

Who will seriously assume that George Clooney or Kevin Spacey or whatever celebrity is offering translation services over Proz.com ? Clients are serious people, not teenage fans of celebrities.

It is up to every freelancer to choose the image they think is the best to advertise their business, and to ive with the consequences of their decision.

If there are copyright issues it is up to the owner (or to Proz.com) to take legal action.

Clients in a global context may well not know whose image is being used - how many westerners recognize Gao Yuanyuan? Of course they shouldn't be making decisions based on looks but, as any marketer will tell you "sex sells".

I disagree that "it is up to every freelancer to choose the image they think is the best". It is up to every professional behave professionally and act within the law and the undertaking they gave when they uploaded their carefully-chosen image.

I have no idea of, and no interest in, the copyright status of " Ivan Tsarevich riding the Gray Wolf"

[Edited at 2015-02-04 10:16 GMT]

Sheila Wilson
Sheila Wilson  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2007)
English
+ ...
A freelancer is supposed to be a professional Feb 4, 2015

nordiste wrote:

The problem is that those site users who load a photo have ticked the box that says they have the right to use it. We are supposed to be professional service providers who will keep clients' data secret even without an NDA, who will deliver on time, do this, do that...as per the contract, even if the contract is just an email. Our clients need to be able to rely on us to keep the rules. And yet these people have already shown that they don't give a damn about rules, contracts, ethics, copyright...

To my mind, that's bringing the profession, and certainly the site, into disrepute. And I personally want to be associated with a reputable profession and site.

BTW: I wouldn't know Kevin Spacey from Adam and I've only recently found out who George Clooney is (from the coffee ads).

DLyons
Ireland
Spanish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Adam is the one with the fig leaf. Feb 4, 2015

Sheila Wilson wrote:
I wouldn't know Kevin Spacey from Adam and I've only recently found out who George Clooney is (from the coffee ads).

Tom in London
Tom in London
United Kingdom
Member (2008)
Italian to English
Michael Clayton Feb 4, 2015

DLyons wrote:

Sheila Wilson wrote:
I wouldn't know Kevin Spacey from Adam and I've only recently found out who George Clooney is (from the coffee ads).

Never mind the coffee ads; for Clooney at his best, in a serious film, see "Michael Clayton". You won't be sorry !

Radian Yazynin
Radian Yazynin  Identity Verified
Local time: 13:24
Member (2004)
English to Russian
+ ...
Apart from the already described issues Feb 4, 2015

"Ridiculous", "funny" means "light-headed approach", that's all. Will you really trust such a translator who makes you feel such ridiculousness would creep in their translation as well? I personally don't want to deal with the zanies.

Post removed: This post was hidden by a moderator or staff member because it was not in line with site rule
Post removed: This post was hidden by a moderator or staff member for the following reason: Reply to a hidden post.
Post removed: This post was hidden by a moderator or staff member for the following reason: Reply to a hidden post.
Post removed: This post was hidden by a moderator or staff member for the following reason: Merab, there is nothing wrong with your post itself, however I have devetted the post you are quoting as it contains personal remarks which are out of line with ProZ.com's policies.
Angie Garbarino
Angie Garbarino  Identity Verified
Member (2003)
French to Italian
+ ...
mmmm Feb 4, 2015

DLyons wrote:

I've noticed quite a few recent postings by a user whose 'photo generates a lot of positive feedback. Unfortunately, it's that of an actress from Vancouver, Michelle Borromeo and is on the Web under a Creative Commons licence which requires attribution for re-use. No such attribution is given.

I've also seen Paul Newman, George Clooney and http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gao_Yuanyuan in the last few days apparently needing to supplement their meagre income from acting with some translation work.

Professional translators, of all people, should have an appreciation of copyright violation!

So this person declared a false statement as when we post a photo we have to declare that it is ours.

Staff should intervene.

[Edited at 2015-02-04 16:45 GMT]

nordiste
nordiste  Identity Verified
France
English to French
+ ...
professional choice Feb 4, 2015

DLyons wrote:
It is up to every professional behave professionally and act within the law and the undertaking they gave when they uploaded their carefully-chosen image.

As a professional, it is up to me to carefully choose my image.
I see no contradiction here.
Clients are professionnal too, they can make their own judgement.

I know that some freelancers insist on publishing their real picture because otherwise you don't attract clients - so they say. Good for them, as long as I am free to express a different opinion.

If Proz.com rules change and they make it mandatory to publish a certified picture (how would they check it is another matter) ... well, we will see then.

[Edited at 2015-02-04 12:26 GMT]

[Edited at 2015-02-04 21:17 GMT]

Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3 4 5] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Site members using pictures of other people as profile pictures

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »