Thread poster: Julia Martínez
Julia Martínez
Julia Martínez  Identity Verified
Argentina
Local time: 00:06
English to Spanish
+ ...
Apr 10, 2003

Hi! I\'ve received my first medical translation Sp>Eng and I\'d like to know whether names of medicines or drugs (eg Lanoxin, Azantac etc) are translated or not.

Thanks for your help.

AAAmedical
AAAmedical  Identity Verified
Belgium
Local time: 04:06
English to Dutch
+ ...
yes and no Apr 10, 2003

Hello,

Names of medicine are not really translated but a certain medicine registered under the name X in a country can be registered under a name Y in another country (although same molecule, same company).

I guess you have to take these differences into account.

Regards

Ann

Julia Martínez
Argentina
English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
thank you very much, Ann Apr 11, 2003

Quote:

On 2003-04-10 23:54, AAAmedical wrote:

Hello,

Names of medicine are not really translated but a certain medicine registered under the name X in a country can be registered under a name Y in another country (although same molecule, same company).

I guess you have to take these differences into account.

Regards

Ann

xima
xima  Identity Verified
English to Catalan
+ ...
Generics are usually preferred Apr 11, 2003

Hello,

whenever I translate a medical text, I\'m usually asked to use the generic name.

If not, what I do is use the same trade name as in the original and include the generic name in brackets.

For instance:

... the use of Ativan is recomended in etc etc...

... es recomendable el uso de Ativan (lorazepam) en etc etc..

... if taking Nuprin, the patient etc etc

... si toma
... See more
Hello,

whenever I translate a medical text, I\'m usually asked to use the generic name.

If not, what I do is use the same trade name as in the original and include the generic name in brackets.

For instance:

... si toma Nuprin (ibuprofeno), el paciente etc etc

Hope it helps.

Xima
Collapse

xima
xima  Identity Verified
English to Catalan
+ ...
Generics are usually preferred Apr 11, 2003

Hello,

For instance:

... si toma
... See more
Hello,

For instance:

Hope it helps.

Xima

NOTE: YOU WILL FIND QUITE A LOT OF CORRESPONDENCES IN

http://www.gitt.org/files/gitt_glossary.doc

Collapse

Julia Martínez
Argentina
English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks Xima! You've been very helpful! Apr 12, 2003

Quote:

On 2003-04-11 18:24, xima wrote:

Hello,

For instance:

... es recomendable el uso de Ativan (lora... See more
Quote:

On 2003-04-11 18:24, xima wrote:

Hello,

For instance:

Hope it helps.

Xima

NOTE: YOU WILL FIND QUITE A LOT OF CORRESPONDENCES IN

http://www.gitt.org/files/gitt_glossary.doc

Collapse

Soonthon LUPKITARO(Ph.D.)
Soonthon LUPKITARO(Ph.D.)  Identity Verified
Thailand
Local time: 10:06
English to Thai
+ ...
Drug label Oct 8, 2010

Last week I went to hospital and got some medicines. The labels were totally written in generic names. These are better for pharmacist and patients to know what will be taken even during travelling abroad. It is very convenient now.

Soonthon Lupkitaro

Mesut Yaşar
Mesut Yaşar  Identity Verified
Local time: 06:06
Turkish to English
+ ...
Both Nov 8, 2010

I prefer to translate and write the original in parenthesises. Same goes for books, publishings etc.

Catherine GUILLIAUMET
Catherine GUILLIAUMET  Identity Verified
English to French
+ ...
In memoriam
The standard, the INNs and the WHO's lists Feb 12, 2011

Hi,
The standard is to use the INN (International Nonproprietary Name).

I mean that if, in a document to be translated, only the trade name in mentioned, for instance
"Thingy ®", the standard is to keep the trade name used in the original, followed by the INN within brackets : e.g. "Thingy ® (aspirin)".

Note that the INN is localized, according to the target language/country, i.e. according to the USAN, BAN, DCI, etc.
In the example
... See more
Hi,
The standard is to use the INN (International Nonproprietary Name).

I mean that if, in a document to be translated, only the trade name in mentioned, for instance
"Thingy ®", the standard is to keep the trade name used in the original, followed by the INN within brackets : e.g. "Thingy ® (aspirin)".

Note that the INN is localized, according to the target language/country, i.e. according to the USAN, BAN, DCI, etc.
In the example above, in French it will be "Thingy ® (aspirine)".

Last point : note that the translator is neither supposed nor expected to look the national equivalent trade names up. In fact, indicating a supposed equivalent could even be harmful, as the suggested substitute medicine might not be a true equivalent (slightly different dosage, composition, action or effects, etc.)

Important : Hereafter, the URL to access the Lists of the Proposed and Recommended INNs, published (in 4 languages : Latin, EN, FR, ES) and updated by the WHO :

http://www.who.int/medicines/publications/druginformation/innlists/en/

Those lists also show the molecular formulae in EN, FR and ES. plus the graphic formulae.

Catherine
Collapse

Steven Capsuto
Steven Capsuto  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 23:06
Member (2004)
Spanish to English
+ ...
Depends whose English it's going into Feb 13, 2011

Be aware that the U.S. does not always recognize the international non-proprietary name. So, for instance, the drug that pretty much everyone else in the world calls paracetamol is called acetaminophen in the U.S.

This happens with a some other drugs as well. So if you're translating for the U.S., be sure to use FDA-approved terminology.

[Edited at 2011-02-13 06:26 GMT]

Catherine GUILLIAUMET
English to French
+ ...
In memoriam
Is there a list of FDA/INNs names equivalents ? Feb 13, 2011

Steven Capsuto wrote:

Be aware that the U.S. does not always recognize the international non-proprietary name. So, for instance, the drug that pretty much everyone else in the world calls paracetamol is called acetaminophen in the U.S.

This happens with a some other drugs as well. So if you're translating for the U.S., be sure to use FDA-approved terminology.

[Edited at 2011-02-13 06:26 GMT]

Hi Steven,

Thank you for your imput.

Can you tell us if there is - and where to find, if any - a list of the official equivalents between the WHO's INNs and the FDA's approved names ?

Secondly, am I wrong to assume that a European translator who translates into EN a pharmaceutical document for an US client, using an INN instead of an FDA name shouldn't be considered as heavily at fault ? I think that in any case, the WHO is an authority which outweighs the FDA at the global level, being a branch of the UNO.

I never translate into EN, but I'm very curious.

Have a nice day
Catherine

Emma Goldsmith
Emma Goldsmith  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2004)
Spanish to English
off topic about EN translators Feb 13, 2011

Catherine GUILLIAUMET wrote:

a European translator who translates into EN a pharmaceutical document for an US client

This sort of problem illustrates why I don't translate into US English (I'm a UK English speaker). It's not just a question of spelling differences. I will do so if pressed, but then I insist that the proofreader should be a US English speaker.

Steven Capsuto
Steven Capsuto  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 23:06
Member (2004)
Spanish to English
+ ...
Purpose of the translation Feb 13, 2011

Catherine GUILLIAUMET wrote:

Secondly, am I wrong to assume that a European translator who translates into EN a pharmaceutical document for an US client, using an INN instead of an FDA name shouldn't be considered as heavily at fault ?

If you're translating official drug fact sheets or packaging for use in the U.S., failure to use FDA terminology can cause legal problems (which I assume the pharma company's lawyers would spot before the text goes to the print shop). I think the same issues apply when translating into Spanish for Puerto Rico: there's official U.S. Spanish nomenclature for that market.

The easiest way to find the U.S. drug names is to do a Google search for the INN name and limit the search to fda.gov. IIRC, the FDA's online fact sheets about approved drugs give the U.S. name as the page header but also list foreign names. Also, Wikipedia pages about specific drugs usually list both the INN and FDA names, which can then be confirmed by searching the FDA website.

Catherine GUILLIAUMET
English to French
+ ...
In memoriam
Thank you, Steven Feb 14, 2011

Thank you for those very good tips.

A good idea to mention the U.S. Spanish nomenclature for Puerto Rico. I always forget that this is not an independant state, and I suppose that I'm not the only one in Europe who think so.

Your tips may also be useful to those translating in the other direction.

Catherine

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Natalie[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Names of medicines/drugs

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »