Michael Beijer
Michael Beijer  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 05:56
Member (2009)
Dutch to English
+ ...
Feb 27, 2017

I asked this on the memoQ mailing list, but no one replied, so I will try here.

What's the current maximum size for TMs? That is, what's the biggest that still works relatively well? Both in MB/GB, and number of TUs?

I should also note that I am less interested in how well they perform while actually translating, than using memoQ as a system for pre-translating my projects against massive translation memories prior to translation in another CAT tool.

... See more
I asked this on the memoQ mailing list, but no one replied, so I will try here.

What's the current maximum size for TMs? That is, what's the biggest that still works relatively well? Both in MB/GB, and number of TUs?

I should also note that I am less interested in how well they perform while actually translating, than using memoQ as a system for pre-translating my projects against massive translation memories prior to translation in another CAT tool.

I'm currently translating everything in Déjà Vu X3 (because I prefer it), but am experimenting with pre-translating everything in either SDL Studio or memoQ, because both of these programs handle massive TMs better than DVX. I basically pre-translate all projects, and then export the results as a TMX, and then import this into a temporary translation memory in Déjà Vu prior to every project. This allows me to leverage any hits (fuzzy or otherwise) that may be available in one of my many large TMs but still translate in DVX (with only a small project TM attached for greater speed).

Michael
Collapse

Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT
Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 06:56
Member (2005)
English to Spanish
+ ...
My two cents Feb 27, 2017

My biggest memories have some 200K segments and they, indeed, take longer to analyse and pretranslate projects (actually pretranslating is faster than analysing), but they work relatively well all in all.

Surely the absolute maximum limit will depend on the underlying SQL system: if you use the free SQL software you get with memoQ, performance could be lower than with SQL Server installed on a proper server machine, although I haven't measured this myself.

Another facto
... See more
My biggest memories have some 200K segments and they, indeed, take longer to analyse and pretranslate projects (actually pretranslating is faster than analysing), but they work relatively well all in all.

Surely the absolute maximum limit will depend on the underlying SQL system: if you use the free SQL software you get with memoQ, performance could be lower than with SQL Server installed on a proper server machine, although I haven't measured this myself.

Another factor is working over the network vs. working on your same machine: my experience is that working over the network takes longer than working locally with memories stored in the same computer. While the difference is negligible when you are working interactively in the grid, it can have an influence in large pretranslations.
Collapse

Jan Truper
Jan Truper  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 06:56
Member (2016)
English to German
... Feb 27, 2017

Michael Joseph Wdowiak Beijer wrote:

I don't know anything about the maximum size.
My biggest TM is about 500 MB and has about 400,000 TUs. I often use it for pretranslation purposes and sometimes even as a reference TM within a project; it works fine.

[Edited at 2017-02-28 06:26 GMT]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Current max. size for memoQ TMs?

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »