How to activate special character "ligature" like "oeuf" in French in target text ?
Thread poster: nordiste
nordiste
nordiste  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 05:16
English to French
+ ...
May 8, 2017

I translate into French.
I need a special character which is not on the keyword: it is call "ligature" and it is a fusion of 2 characters, o + e in some specific words, as in "œuf" or "bœuf" (egg or beef).
When I type in Word (French version), as soon as the word "oeuf" is completed the MS software activates the fusion and replaces the 2 distinct oe by the ligature " œ ".

Is there a way to program a rule somewhere in memoQ with a list of words using this ligature t
... See more
I translate into French.
I need a special character which is not on the keyword: it is call "ligature" and it is a fusion of 2 characters, o + e in some specific words, as in "œuf" or "bœuf" (egg or beef).
When I type in Word (French version), as soon as the word "oeuf" is completed the MS software activates the fusion and replaces the 2 distinct oe by the ligature " œ ".

Is there a way to program a rule somewhere in memoQ with a list of words using this ligature to have an automated conversion/fusion?
Collapse

Thomas T. Frost
Thomas T. Frost  Identity Verified
Portugal
Local time: 04:16
Danish to English
+ ...
Use Alt codes May 8, 2017

On Windows you use Alt codes.

œ = Alt + 0156
Π= Alt + 0140

Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT
Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2005)
English to Spanish
+ ...
A termbase entry? May 8, 2017

For words and phrases I find cumbersome to type in my translations into Spanish, I simply add a termbase entry with the target translation, so that the memoQ's predictive typing feature helps you insert the word. You can also use Ctrl and the number of the term in the translation results list to enter the term easily.

Platary (X)
Platary (X)
German to French
+ ...
ASCII code or a customized keyboard May 8, 2017

nordiste wrote:

Is there a way to program a rule somewhere in memoQ with a list of words using this ligature to have an automated conversion/fusion?

I don't know in MemoQ, but it could be interesting to consider the Microsoft Keyboard Layout Creator, with an excellent Tuto, here :

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O9Gai7gRb5k&feature=youtu.be

You can apply this demonstration to any other character you need. Useful not only in a CAT tool.

Enjoy!

Jean Lachaud
Jean Lachaud  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 00:16
English to French
+ ...
Spell checker?? May 8, 2017

Doesn't MemoQ spell checker suggest the correction, like Word's own spell checker, at least?

nordiste wrote:

Catherine De Crignis
Catherine De Crignis  Identity Verified
France
Member (2012)
English to French
+ ...
Spellchecker Jun 19, 2017

Tomás Cano Binder, CT wrote:

For words and phrases I find cumbersome to type in my translations into Spanish, I simply add a termbase entry with the target translation, so that the memoQ's predictive typing feature helps you insert the word. You can also use Ctrl and the number of the term in the translation results list to enter the term easily.

So do I, Tomás. I even enter easy-to-type but very common words.
Trouble with "œuf" is that the first letter can’t be typed as such, so it doesn’t get recognised by the predictive typing feature. I simply type "oeuf" and let the spellchecker do its work.

John Fossey
John Fossey  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 00:16
Member (2008)
French to English
+ ...
International keyboard Jun 19, 2017

On my US-international keyboard, it's Ctrl+Shift+& then o = œ

However, strangely, although this is a Windows shortcut, it works in some programs but not others.

Epameinondas Soufleros
Epameinondas Soufleros  Identity Verified
Greece
Local time: 06:16
Member (2008)
English to Greek
+ ...
Assign a symbol shortcut in memoQ Jun 20, 2017

When editing your document, do the following:

1. Go to the Edit ribbon tab.

2. In the Special Characters group, click on Frequent Symbols to reveal a menu.

3. On this menu, click Customize Symbol Shortcuts.

4. Pick the character you want from the character map, assign the shortcut you want and click Save.

I hope this helps.

Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT
Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2005)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Ooops Jun 20, 2017

Catherine De Crignis wrote:
Tomás Cano Binder, CT wrote:

So do I, Tomás. I even enter easy-to-type but very common words.
Trouble with "œuf" is that the first letter can’t be typed as such, so it doesn’t get recognised by the predictive typing feature.

Oh, you are absolutely right! I hadn't thought of that. However, selecting the termbase entry by the normal Ctrl+ or double-clicking does the job.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

How to activate special character "ligature" like "oeuf" in French in target text ?

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »