Metatexis and Word \'97 - incompatible? (\'Yes\')
Thread poster: xxx xxx
xxx xxx
xxx xxx
Local time: 09:45
May 20, 2003

Hallo, everybody,

I was going to download Metatexis but the download information says Metatexis only works with MS WORD 2000 or XP. Is this true? I have only got WORD \'97 (MS Office Professional).

There seems to be a download site for ADO but I doubt I will be able to use it with MS Office 97 since this still works with DAO.

Is there any possibility for me to use Metatexis without having to buy a new MS Office package?

... See more
Hallo, everybody,

I was going to download Metatexis but the download information says Metatexis only works with MS WORD 2000 or XP. Is this true? I have only got WORD \'97 (MS Office Professional).

There seems to be a download site for ADO but I doubt I will be able to use it with MS Office 97 since this still works with DAO.

Is there any possibility for me to use Metatexis without having to buy a new MS Office package?

Many thanks for your help!

Diane
Collapse

Marc P (X)
Marc P (X)  Identity Verified
German to English
+ ...
Metatexis and Office 97 May 20, 2003

Quote:

the download information says Metatexis only works with MS WORD 2000 or XP. Is this true?

It certainly used to be the case and if the information still says it is, probably nothing has changed. Like you, I have not upgraded since Office 97.

Marc

Andrzej Lejman
Andrzej Lejman  Identity Verified
Poland
Member (2004)
German to Polish
+ ...
Not compatible with Word 97 May 20, 2003

From Meta Texis Manual:

For the time being, MetaTexis is only available for Microsoft Windows® with Microsoft Office 2000® or Microsoft Office XP®.

In the future MetaTexis will also be available for StarOffice 6 (all platforms, including UNIX and Linux). This version will be called \"Star MetaTexis\". However, to achieve this the whole program will have to be re-developed in Java (a well-known multi-platform programming language). For this reason, Star MetaTexis
... See more
From Meta Texis Manual:

For the time being, MetaTexis is only available for Microsoft Windows® with Microsoft Office 2000® or Microsoft Office XP®.

In the future MetaTexis will also be available for StarOffice 6 (all platforms, including UNIX and Linux). This version will be called \"Star MetaTexis\". However, to achieve this the whole program will have to be re-developed in Java (a well-known multi-platform programming language). For this reason, Star MetaTexis will not be available before the end of 2003.

Regards

Andrzej
Collapse

Andrzej Lejman
Andrzej Lejman  Identity Verified
Poland
Member (2004)
German to Polish
+ ...
Upgrade to Word XP May 20, 2003

You should consider upgrading to Word XP. It has maybe thousand functionalities you will never use, but one is worth all the money: recovering text from damaged files. This function really works, you will never get lost more than a cuple of minutes of your work.

Regards

Andrzej

Arkady Vysotsky
Arkady Vysotsky  Identity Verified
Local time: 10:45
English to Ukrainian
+ ...
COM Add-in is the main reason May 20, 2003

In addition to ADO, Metatexis uses COM Add-in technology, which is only availavle since Word 2000.

Best regards,

Arkady Vysotsky

xxx xxx
xxx xxx
TOPIC STARTER
COM Add-in technology May 20, 2003

Quote:

COM Add-in technology

What is this?

Regards

Diane

Arkady Vysotsky
Arkady Vysotsky  Identity Verified
Local time: 10:45
English to Ukrainian
+ ...
COM Add-in technology May 20, 2003

Metatexis website www.metatexis.com/MetaTexis_FAQ.htm says:

>

Roughly speaking, this is a MS feature which allows to pack Word macro code into DLL library. IMHO this approach usually results in slow and unreliable programs. Metatexis\' author, Hermann Bruns, did his best to avoid these drawbacks, though.

Best regards,

Arkady Vysotsky

... See more
Metatexis website www.metatexis.com/MetaTexis_FAQ.htm says:

>

Roughly speaking, this is a MS feature which allows to pack Word macro code into DLL library. IMHO this approach usually results in slow and unreliable programs. Metatexis\' author, Hermann Bruns, did his best to avoid these drawbacks, though.

Best regards,

Arkady Vysotsky

Collapse

Berni Armstrong
Berni Armstrong  Identity Verified
Spain
English
+ ...
Worth the switch to XP May 20, 2003

Hi there,

I switched to XP last year and I would never go back. Although superficially you still think you are using the same programme there are so many new tricks that it is well worth the switch. (It\'s goodbye to having to go to \"Windows\" to change from one open file to another, for example. Defining languages you use regularly is easier, etc).

I still hate WORD, but if you must use it, then use XP the least awful version of it! Plus of course, to
... See more
Hi there,

I switched to XP last year and I would never go back. Although superficially you still think you are using the same programme there are so many new tricks that it is well worth the switch. (It\'s goodbye to having to go to \"Windows\" to change from one open file to another, for example. Defining languages you use regularly is easier, etc).

I still hate WORD, but if you must use it, then use XP the least awful version of it! Plus of course, to come back on topic, you get to use Hermann\'s wonderful Metatexis!

Cheers,

Berni
Collapse

xxx xxx
xxx xxx
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you so much! Jun 5, 2003

Many thanks for your replies! Following your advice I have opted for the upgrade.
Hopefully I will be able to learn how to use Metatexis one day.

For the time being, can anyone tell me whether there is any possibility for me to use my MSAccess database with Metatexis without having to export (and afterwards reimport) the tables?

Regards,

Diane

Hermann Bruns
Hermann Bruns  Identity Verified
English to German
Import is necessary Jun 6, 2003

Diane Keller wrote:

Many thanks for your replies! Following your advice I have opted for the upgrade.
Hopefully I will be able to learn how to use Metatexis one day.

For the time being, can anyone tell me whether there is any possibility for me to use my MSAccess database with Metatexis without having to export (and afterwards reimport) the tables?

Regards,

Diane

Hi Diane,

unfortunately, you cannot directly use Access tables in MetaTexis. You have to import them. The reason is that TMs do not just contain the segments/TUs, but also other information. Most importantly, TMs include indexes which allow to quickly find any matching TUs.

Hermann

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Natalie[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Metatexis and Word \'97 - incompatible? (\'Yes\')

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »