Creating a new TM with group of terms in an existing TM and ...
Thread poster: jacana54 (X)
jacana54 (X)
jacana54 (X)  Identity Verified
Uruguay
English to Spanish
+ ...
Nov 30, 2008

creating a new document with the source text and the translation in TM.

Hello,

I can't find the answer to two related questions and would love to get suggestions:

(I've looked in the manual and in past forum postings... duh!!!!)

1) I did a translation using an existing TM, and now I realize that I want to ta
... See more
creating a new document with the source text and the translation in TM.

Hello,

I can't find the answer to two related questions and would love to get suggestions:

(I've looked in the manual and in past forum postings... duh!!!!)

1) I did a translation using an existing TM, and now I realize that I want to take all the segments from today's translation away from that TM and put them in a new one (because I will continue working there and will possibly have a watch list).

2) I edited some of those terms, following the agency's indications, and now I would like to create a new document using the source text and the translations in the TM.

I remember reading somewhere that if your translation file is somehow irrevocably lost but the segments are in the TM, it's possible to re-create the document. But now I can't find that.

Thanks!
Collapse

Renée van Bijsterveld
Renée van Bijsterveld  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Local time: 06:35
Member (2007)
English to Dutch
+ ...
Edit the translation Dec 1, 2008

First edit your translation (q2) and then clean the file into a new TM (q1)

jacana54 (X)
Uruguay
English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
thank you for your suggestion Dec 1, 2008

Renee, I had already edited the translation before posting the question in the forum. What I can't figure out is how to clean, as you say, or carry those segments to a different TM. You are obviously referring to a function that I can't find. Could you please indicate the steps I should take?

----------

Ok, this is what I did:

I copied the edited translation into a new document, then I launched the start assistant but entered the name of the new TM, then "
... See more
Renee, I had already edited the translation before posting the question in the forum. What I can't figure out is how to clean, as you say, or carry those segments to a different TM. You are obviously referring to a function that I can't find. Could you please indicate the steps I should take?

----------

Ok, this is what I did:

I copied the edited translation into a new document, then I launched the start assistant but entered the name of the new TM, then "translated" the document again (which was simply skimming through all the segments which were already there).

This must be an unorthodox way to do things, so I am still interested in learning the "proper" way to do it.

Also, I would appreciate any ideas as to how to re-create a document starting from the segments in the memory, as if I had lost the document completely.

[Edited at 2008-12-02 01:22 GMT]

[Edited at 2008-12-02 01:23 GMT]

[Edited at 2008-12-02 01:53 GMT]
Collapse

Lorenzo Cordini
Lorenzo Cordini
English
Here's how Jan 8, 2009

Hello Lucia,

If you want to save the content of a bilingual MetaTexis document to a TM, all you need to do is create a new (empty) TM (for this purpose open the document options and in the “Translation memories” tab create a new TM) and then select MetaTexis > Translation memory (TM) > Save all translated segments in main TM (Alt+Ctrl+Shift+A).

If you then want to re-translate the same original document using the TM you just created, convert the document to a MetaTe
... See more
Hello Lucia,

If you want to save the content of a bilingual MetaTexis document to a TM, all you need to do is create a new (empty) TM (for this purpose open the document options and in the “Translation memories” tab create a new TM) and then select MetaTexis > Translation memory (TM) > Save all translated segments in main TM (Alt+Ctrl+Shift+A).

If you then want to re-translate the same original document using the TM you just created, convert the document to a MetaTexis document, select the TM you want to use and execute the pre-translation function (Alt+Ctrl+Shift+R).

Hope this helps,

Lorenzo

[Edited at 2009-01-08 11:02 GMT]
Collapse

jacana54 (X)
Uruguay
English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks, Lorenzo Jan 8, 2009

Your second paragraph is very useful, thanks.

L

jacana54 (X)
Uruguay
English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Re-translation of same document using existing TM Jan 10, 2009

I followed Lorenzo's instructions and it does not recognize the segments (the search in TM and TDB was successful in 0 segments), although I made sure that the TM is the right one.

Tried several times with different documents, and no luck. (I also read Searching in TMs, pages 114 and 115 of Manual).

Thanks in advance for any help anyone can give me.

Lucía

Lorenzo Cordini
Lorenzo Cordini
English
Language pairs are correct? Jan 12, 2009

Hello Lucia,

Have you made sure that source and target languages in the document options are set correctly (same pair like in the TM)?

Lorenzo

jacana54 (X)
Uruguay
English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
I sorted this one out, finally Jan 12, 2009

Lorenzo,

Thank you so much for answering again.

Yes, I got the same suggestion from Hermann Bruns and in fact in one of the files the language combination was the wrong way round and in the other case it was searching the wrong TM! Silly me, overlooking obvious things.

I signed up for a MetaTexis group in Yahoo and will start to read it periodically to learn from other people's questions.

Best wishes,

Lucía

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Natalie[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Creating a new TM with group of terms in an existing TM and ...

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »