Thread poster: Eleni Makantani

Eleni Makantani
Greece
Local time: 23:53
English to Greek
+ ...
Mar 19, 2008

Hello, again,

Another question: Do you provide your customers with special Trados rates? In my mind "special Trados rates" generally means free work. Do companies get paid less when there are repetitions? Besides, the fact that segments are repeated doesn't mean that the translator doesn't bother about them. I can't imagine any professional translator who would blindly accept what a TM offers, especially if many translators have worked on the same TM.

Am I being unreasonable? What do you think thereon?

Helen

Direct link Reply with quote

Wolfgang Jörissen  Identity Verified
Belize
Dutch to German
+ ...
No "Trados rates" here... Mar 19, 2008

but if a document consists of 60% internal repetition, 35% of re-used material and only 5% new stuff, I would find it unreasonable to charge the full 100% for the whole thing. If I can really save time, then I am willing to pass that on to the client. As a rule, however, I never give away matches and repetitions entirely for free.

BTW: I prefer using the term "CAT rates", because besides the one you referred to, there are other applications around to get the job done - even betters ones.

[Edited at 2008-03-19 12:11]

Per Magnus  Identity Verified
Local time: 22:53
English to Norwegian
Rates and discounts Mar 19, 2008

Take a look at

http://www.proz.com/topic/98936?start=0&float=

There is an extensive debate on the subject.

Per Magnus

Giles Watson  Identity Verified
Italy
Italian to English
Sometimes, but on my terms Mar 19, 2008

Hi Eleni,

I don't do much work for agencies, the customers who are most likely to demand discounts for repetitions, and don't generally propose them myself.

With long-term clients who send me similar but not identical documents on a regular basis - for example, wineries that need their product profiles updated for each new vintage - I may offer a "no change, no charge" deal, deducting repetitions and 100% matches on the basis of the Trados - in my case, Wolfgang - Analyse function.

This has the advantage of being easy to understand and much fairer than charging the full rate for a translation that may only be 20-30% new. Obviously, the deal applies only to documents received from the client concerned, which is why I keep separate TMs for each customer, leveraging similar work from other sources through sector-based reference TMs.

Φιλικά,

Giles

[Edited at 2008-03-19 15:44]

ViktoriaG  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 16:53
English to French
+ ...
CAT rates schemes Mar 19, 2008

I do not offer any kind of rebate on this. The only rate scheme I have that resembles CAT rate schemes is reserved for established clients that I am satisfied with, and then again, all I offer them is free 100% matches and repetitions, but the rest of the text is counted as no match segments, even if it contains fuzzy matches.

Remember, you invested time and money to be able to offer CAT functionality to your clients. How would you like to make an investment the benefits of which someone else will reap? Businesswise, that would be nonsense. I invest, therefore, I cash in on the return. If I can translate faster and more consistently, that should serve my interests, not someone else's...

Vito Smolej
Germany
Member (2004)
English to Slovenian
+ ...
Dont think in segments, think in time spent on them Mar 20, 2008

Actually I am copycatting Warren Buffet ("when you think business, think dollars") on it.

The commodity you are selling, is your time. So...

How much time are you spending on the first "this is a repeat segment"?
How much on the next 200 "this is a repeat segment"?
How much on the 150 "this is not a repeat segment"?

Etc

Again, think your time. And, of course, it's all in the deal.

PS: btw, if you have to type the target segment 200 times ... er ... I'd guess you are not competitive anymore.

PPS: and btw, if there's no repeat segments & similar, I guess I am missing the issue.

[Edited at 2008-03-20 00:11]

Vito Smolej
Germany
Member (2004)
English to Slovenian
+ ...
Hold it .... Mar 20, 2008

I offer them is free 100% matches and repetitions

The policy about it very much depends on the language pair involved. EN > SL for instance is a completely different story (my experience) compared to say DE > EN.

Reason: declension and some other (beautiful, not to be missed) attributes of a language like dual in Slovenian etc.

So ... don't underestimate the amount of work. But then again, don't overcharge.

ViktoriaG  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 16:53
English to French
+ ...
Free 100% matches and repetitions Mar 20, 2008

Don't forget that while I do offer these match types free (to well-established, healthy, respectful clients only), I don't offer fuzzy matches at fuzzy rates. If the match is other than 100% or repetition, it will be paid in full. I believe it adds up and is much more honest than having different rates for different fuzzy match types...

[Edited at 2008-03-20 17:07]

Sven Petersson  Identity Verified
Sweden
English to Swedish
+ ...
NO! Mar 20, 2008

Sven Petersson
Medical translator

Per Magnus  Identity Verified
English to Norwegian
No ? Mar 21, 2008

You must really have gullible clients.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Special Trados rates

Advanced search

memoQ translator pro
Kilgray's memoQ is the world's fastest developing integrated localization & translation environment rendering you more productive and efficient.

With our advanced file filters, unlimited language and advanced file support, memoQ translator pro has been designed for translators and reviewers who work on their own, with other translators or in team-based translation projects.

More info »
SDL MultiTerm 2017
Guarantee a unified, consistent and high-quality translation with terminology software by the industry leaders.

SDL MultiTerm 2017 allows translators to create one central location to store and manage multilingual terminology, and with SDL MultiTerm Extract 2017 you can automatically create term lists from your existing documentation to save time.

More info »

All of ProZ.com
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs