Mobile menu

Italian invoice to GB subject: fiscal data?
Thread poster: Sarah Cuminetti

Sarah Cuminetti  Identity Verified
Italy
Local time: 16:58
English to Italian
+ ...
Mar 25, 2008

Hello everybody,

I have a question related to invoices issued in Italy by an Italian translator (eg. ME) and aimed at a client who's a British subject (without Italy's "codice fiscale").

If any one of you British subjects has ever received such an invoice, can you tell me what kind of fiscal info on the client has to appear in the invoice? (Codice fiscale?)

I've posted a similar question on the Italy-specific forum but no luck so far, maybe here the pool of potential answerers' wider and I'll get lucky!

Thank you!
Sarah

Direct link Reply with quote

Marie-Hélène Hayles  Identity Verified
Italian to English
+ ...
VAT Registration number Mar 25, 2008

I issue invoices to British clients. Essentially, you need the company's name, address and VAT registration number in order to issue invoices not subject to VAT (you need to write Operazione fuori campo IVA secondo art. 7, comma 4, lett. D, DPR 633, 20/10/1972 on the invoice).

As far as I know, if the client is not VAT-registered, then you will have to charge VAT, but I've never been in that situation so can't say for sure.

Charlie Bavington  Identity Verified
Local time: 15:58
French to English
VAT Mar 25, 2008

Marie-Hélène Hayles wrote:

I issue invoices to British clients. Essentially, you need the company's name, address and VAT registration number in order to issue invoices not subject to VAT (you need to write Operazione fuori campo IVA secondo art. 7, comma 4, lett. D, DPR 633, 20/10/1972 on the invoice).

As far as I know, if the client is not VAT-registered, then you will have to charge VAT, but I've never been in that situation so can't say for sure.

I think that the basic rule is that cross-border but within the EU business services (i.e. translation transactions here) fall outside the scope of VAT.

Obviously, having a VAT number is a pretty good indication that you are a business, but not having one doesn't mean you're not, especially in the UK where the VAT reg. threshold is pretty high.
Equally, I could appreciate that it could be a problem getting the Italian tax people to accept that it WAS a business transaction if they are unaware of/unfamiliar with our high threshold.
So, if you issued ME with an invoice that included VAT, I wouldn't accept it. However, as just outlined, I would appreciate that I might have to provide you with oodles of other info in case the Italian authorities ever asked

If the translation was for a private consumer, as it were, I think that you do charge VAT.

Sarah Cuminetti  Identity Verified
Italy
English to Italian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks! Mar 26, 2008

Thank you all!

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Italian invoice to GB subject: fiscal data?

Advanced search

Translation news

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use SDL Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

More info »
PerfectIt consistency checker
Faster Checking, Greater Accuracy

PerfectIt helps deliver error-free documents. It improves consistency, ensures quality and helps to enforce style guides. It’s a powerful tool for pro users, and comes with the assurance of a 30-day money back guarantee.

More info »

All of ProZ.com
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs