Thread poster: Lynda Tharratt

Lynda Tharratt  Identity Verified
Local time: 09:23
Member (2006)
Spanish to English
+ ...
Mar 25, 2008

Hi everybody!

For a month now I have been trying to receive a bank transfer from an agency in Spain (the invoice was from December - small amount about 150 Euros). I sent them all the information for the bank transfer (I usually get paid by PayPal but I have recently had money transferred to my account from France) and I keep getting emails from them saying that their bank needs more information in order to complete the transaction! They want a scanned copy of my account statement which I have not provided as it has more information than is necessary to send the money. So, for other Canadians out there, what else do I need other than bank code "010" for CIBC, branch number, branch address, account number? I have repeatedly encouraged them to send the money by PayPal but they refuse, this seems odd to me as it would not cost them anything and they would have to pay for a bank transfer.
I also received another note from them apologizing to all translators who have not yet received payment for December and January invoices, so I'm wondering if all of this is just a stall tactic on their part.
Has anyone had a similar experience lately?

Lynda

Direct link Reply with quote

Noni Gilbert
Spain
Local time: 15:23
Member (2007)
Spanish to English
+ ...
Changes in banking practice Mar 25, 2008

While this may indeed be a case of delaying tactics (and why refuse to use PayPal?), it is indeed true that there have been recent changes in Spanish banking practices which may be affecting operations. Amongst other things these changes are aimed at making it far more difficult to move funds around for money laundering purposes, but is also makes things difficult for us normal souls.

I don't know about transfers outside Europe, but I know that for within Europe it is now vital to have the full IBAN code for the account you are transferring the funds to. The length of this code varies from bank to bank. If you have the full code, you shouldn't need much more information about the person you're sending the funds to (except to check that you are indeed sending the funds to the right recipient), although I seem to remember you do need to fill in the "Concepto" box, and identify yourself as the sender.

Asking for copies of your personal banking correspondence seems a bit much, but maybe they're just after the code. If you use an electronic banking service, you should be able to find your IBAN code easily enough.

Without the IBAN code, to make an international transfer you need to know all sorts of things like the address of the bank you are sending the funds to (and not just the address of the recipient).

HTH and good luck!

Member (2006)
Spanish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
I appreciate your input Mar 25, 2008

Unfortunately, IBAN codes are not used for Canadian banks. I sent the agency the information below from the Internet:

Canada
Canadian banks are identified using an 8-digit code. The first 3 digits identify the bank (often referred to as the “institution code”) and the following 5 identify the branch (often known as the “transit number”), e.g. 456-00123. Account numbers have a maximum of 12 digits.

but this didn't seem to help them any!

Also, I did send them the full bank address including postal code and telephone number.

AAARG! This is so frustrating. We have had a total of about 20 emails back and forth in the past month. I don't understand why this is happening or why they wouldn't just make an exception in this case and use PayPal.

Noni Gilbert
Spain
Member (2007)
Spanish to English
+ ...
IBAN Mar 25, 2008

So much for "international" banking codes! Sorry not to have been of much help then.... Hope it gets sorted out soon.

Ralf Lemster  Identity Verified
Germany
English to German
+ ...
SWIFT BIC? Mar 25, 2008

Hi Lynda,
I sent them all the information for the bank transfer

Did you include the SWIFT Bank Identifier Code (BIC)?

Best regards,
Ralf

Member (2006)
Spanish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
SWIFT code Mar 25, 2008

Hi Ralf,

Thanks for your reply. Yes, I sent them the SWIFT code for CIBC which is CIBCCATT, even though that has never been necessary before when sending transfer information. So, I don't know what else they would want. If there is no satisfactory resolution to this problem within the next week or so I think I will have to post a negative rating for them on the BlueBoard (they have no rating at the moment). After all, this translation was completed in mid-December and here we are nearly at the end of March!

Gianni Pastore  Identity Verified
Italy
Member (2007)
English to Italian
SWIFT BIC, as Ralf mentioned... Mar 25, 2008

... has changed for several banks in the euro area. I had problems as well with an agency until I found out that the BIC Swift code had changed starting from January 1st. May be worth checking with your bank. HTH
G

Member (2006)
Spanish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
thanks Mar 25, 2008

Maybe this is the problem, I'll check

Julie Larochelle  Identity Verified
Canada
English to French
International codes Mar 25, 2008

Hello Lynda,

I had the same problem with a few European agencies, although I do not use the same bank as you (I deal with the Caisse Populaire myself).

I contacted my bank representative to discuss the issue and the Desjardins International Service Centre provided me with an official document containing the international codes to my account. It seems there is another set of branch ID for international transfers and these are different from the ones found on a regular cheque. They supposedly are more in line with the systems used globally.

I have yet to receive a payment using these new codes (I got the document a couple of weeks ago), but they were adamant that with these new codes, I would never run into other problems.

I would suggest you contact your bank representative. He or she will be able to tell you whether they use similar international codes for their branches.

Best regards,

Julie

P.S. I used to provide the institution code and branch number separately or separate them by a dash (e.g. XXX-XXXXX). I recently noticed that some systems deleted the dash and all the number following it, leaving only the first part of the code. The international branch ID contains all the information within one single number, which probably makes more sense for banks outside of Canada.

[Edited at 2008-03-25 19:20]

Member (2006)
Spanish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
aha! Mar 25, 2008

Thanks Julie,

That information sounds very promising! I will call the bank tomorrow to try to find out.
I appreciate your reply (and the information from everyone else who has taken time to respond, thank you everyone

xxxJPW  Identity Verified
Local time: 14:23
Spanish to English
+ ...
You are not alone... Mar 25, 2008

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=473187

just found this thread on a quick googlesearch which you might find useful,

I hope you get it sorted out tho'

Member (2006)
Spanish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
I think I'll send this link to the agency Mar 25, 2008

thanks!!

Thorson
Danish to English
This may or not apply in your case Mar 26, 2008

You can check with local banks in your area to find out if any have European corresponding banks or even a European branch.

Ask for the international department or someone familiar with international banking--regular tellers and bank employees probably won't know much about it.

Otherwise the company can simply send you a check. There will be an extra processing fee but at least you'll get your money.

Member (2006)
Spanish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
that's what made me wonder Mar 26, 2008

I suggested to them that they just send an international money order or even a cheque but they seem to insist on making the transfer. This made me think that perhaps they are just stalling for time. I sent them the link that John kindly provided and they replied today saying that they would look into it.
In my message to the agency I stressed that the onus was on THEM to correct this problem and make sure that I got paid one way or another as I fulfilled my end of the contract by providing them with the translation job (which they were more than happy with) on time.
No matter how I feel about PayPal's fees, I think that this is definitely the best solution although it's typically 60 days before I receive payment from most agencies (often after a reminder notice) and then another week before that money can be transferred from PayPal to my bank account!
....such is life as a translator...I still love my job (most days)

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Translation company in Spain claims problems with bank transfer to Canada

Advanced search

Translation news

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use SDL Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

More info »

All of ProZ.com
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs