https://www.proz.com/forum/money_matters/100621-should_vat_be_included_in_invoices_from_germany_to_other_eu_countries_specifically_the_netherlands.html

Should VAT be included in invoices from Germany to other EU countries -specifically The Netherlands?
Thread poster: globalsucces (X)
globalsucces (X)
globalsucces (X)
Local time: 18:17
German to English
Mar 26, 2008

Hi,

I'd be very grateful if anyone could give me any pointers here.

I'm a freelancer registered for tax in Germany. Should I include VAT (specifically Germany's Mehrwertsteuer) on an invoice for proofreading services I'm sending from Germany, where I'm based, to a business customer in the Netherlands?

Any help here, or on other sources I could try would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Pete

Deborah do Carmo
Deborah do Carmo  Identity Verified
Portugal
Local time: 17:17
Dutch to English
+ ...
Please do a forum search Mar 26, 2008

This question has been asked many times before.

Niels Stephan
Niels Stephan  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2009)
English to German
No! Mar 26, 2008

This is, what I regularly do and do not include it, so the answer is no. Instead:
"Kein Ausweis der Umsatzsteuer nach §§ 3a Abs. 4 Nr. 3, Abs. 3 UStG. Der Empfänger der Leistung hat nach § 13b Abs. 1 Nr. 1 UStG für die Umsatzbesteuerung im Inland Sorge zu tragen."

Richard Robinson
Richard Robinson  Identity Verified
Hungarian to English
+ ...
efficiency of forum search Feb 9, 2009

Lawyer-Linguist wrote:

This question has been asked many times before.

Actually I came across this thread by searching through the forums, and I'm finding it very difficult to get to the information I want. Please don't assume that people who ask questions are too lazy to search.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Should VAT be included in invoices from Germany to other EU countries -specifically The Netherlands?

Translation news

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »