Thread poster: Kornelia Longoria

Kornelia Longoria  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 13:01
Member (2007)
English to Polish
+ ...
Mar 27, 2008

I have been searching the forum for answers to my question but have not found any.
I have a problem with a Latvian company who owes me about $350 for proofreading. I have contacted them numerous times and they do not respond. When I had the files to work on, they knew how to get a hold of me by e-mails and even long distance phone calls. After submitting my work, it all got awfully quiet.
I left them a bad rating on Blue Board and reported non-payment from them. My question is - Does proz.com actually follows up on such complaints and tries to mediate? Or is it only just for other translators to know about the company?

Direct link Reply with quote

Marie-Hélène Hayles  Identity Verified
Local time: 19:01
Italian to English
+ ...
Just for other translators Mar 27, 2008

Proz doesn't act as a mediator in disputes between translators and agencies. I believe that at most it will prevent habitual non-payers from using its services (advertising jobs etc.), but no more than that.

Angie Garbarino  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2003)
French to Italian
+ ...
Jobs moderators actually mediate Mar 27, 2008

I can assure you that they do, since they helped me many times.

Both for small and big amounts.

They were really helpful for me.

A special thanks to Giuliana Buscaglione and to Ralf Lemster. (In alphabetical order)

Good luck!

Angio

[Edited at 2008-03-27 13:14]

Marie-Hélène Hayles  Identity Verified
Italian to English
+ ...
My mistake! Mar 27, 2008

Angio wrote:

I can assure you that they do, since they helped me many times.

Both for small and big amounts.

They were really helpful for me.

A special thanks to Giuliana Buscaglione and to Ralf Lemster. (in alphabetical order)

Bye bye

Angio

[Edited at 2008-03-27 13:05]

Sorry, I was under the impression that they didn't get involved.

Ralf Lemster  Identity Verified
Germany
English to German
+ ...
We sometimes do, but not as a matter of principle Mar 27, 2008

Hi all,
Angio, thanks for your kind words.
In fact, there's a dozen volunteers working on Jobs and the Blue Board - a great team indeed!

In some cases we manage to find a solution, and to remedy non-payment cases; still, Marie-Hélène is right in pointing out that we do not get involved in bilateral disputes.

Kornelia, to answer your question, we start investigating when there is a minimum of two independent non-payment complaints. If the situation isn't remedied, we can block an outsourcer from posting jobs, and/or remove the profile(s) from ProZ.com. See the www.proz.com/termination_policy]Termination Policy for details.

Best regards,
Ralf

[Edited at 2008-03-27 20:43]

xxxBrandis
English to German
+ ...
terminology standardization...??? Mar 27, 2008

Hi! Few days back I had a discussion with Henry along escrow variants, the question was still the quality issue. One talks about terminology standardization, that seems to be an oceanic subject. Is that why we have Kudoz to see the average best hits for an answer, assuming that is the standardized answer and believe that if that kind of answer is implemented that people should not face quality issues! This seems to be a perfect dilemma. Brandis

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Blue Board non-payment procedures

Advanced search

Translation news

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
SDL MultiTerm 2017
Guarantee a unified, consistent and high-quality translation with terminology software by the industry leaders.

SDL MultiTerm 2017 allows translators to create one central location to store and manage multilingual terminology, and with SDL MultiTerm Extract 2017 you can automatically create term lists from your existing documentation to save time.

More info »

All of ProZ.com
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs