Kornelia Longoria
Kornelia Longoria  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 20:00
Member (2007)
English to Polish
+ ...
Mar 31, 2008

I don't mean to star another rate discussion, but I just saw this job posting and I'm wondering if it's supposed to be a joke....

Polish to English

10.000 words translation needed

deadline: 01st April

We pay 0,02 - 0,03 Euro per target word.

please offer best prices for future collaboration.

[Subject edited by staff or moderator 2008-03-31 15:52]

Ralf Lemster
Ralf Lemster  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 03:00
English to German
+ ...
Another rate discussion Mar 31, 2008

I don't mean to start another rate discussion,

Well - you have.

Andrzej Lejman
Andrzej Lejman  Identity Verified
Poland
Member (2004)
German to Polish
+ ...
Quotes received: 7 Mar 31, 2008

No comments.

A.

Kornelia Longoria
United States
Member (2007)
English to Polish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
7 QUOTES Mar 31, 2008

I really hope that the quotes are just messages to tell them how ridiculous they are. I almost sent a quote to them saying something like I'll just do it for free through an automatic translating machine.

Wolfgang Jörissen
Wolfgang Jörissen  Identity Verified
Belize
Dutch to German
+ ...
Well, you can always quote a higher price Mar 31, 2008

... which I sometimes do, just to give them a hard time

Kornelia Longoria
United States
Member (2007)
English to Polish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Disregarding the rate issue... Mar 31, 2008

Is it really possible to submit 10,000 word translation for tomorrow?
It's already evening in the country the job posters comes from.

[Edited at 2008-03-31 16:54]

Margreet Logmans (X)
Margreet Logmans (X)  Identity Verified
Netherlands
English to Dutch
+ ...
Ignore it Mar 31, 2008

In the past two weeks, there were offers in my language pair
- for 0.01 euro per source word (which was confirmed by jobs moderators; apparently someone had asked whether this could be a mistake)
- for texts of about 275 words, 4 euro per text, which is essentially 1.5 cents per word
- an offer of texts for 4 euro apiece; the outsourcer stated it was expected that (because the texts were easy) a translator should be able to do 4 texts in an hour. Which leads to the princely su
... See more
- for 0.01 euro per source word (which was confirmed by jobs moderators; apparently someone had asked whether this could be a mistake)
- for texts of about 275 words, 4 euro per text, which is essentially 1.5 cents per word
- an offer of texts for 4 euro apiece; the outsourcer stated it was expected that (because the texts were easy) a translator should be able to do 4 texts in an hour. Which leads to the princely sum of 16 euros per hour (before taxes).

If you don't like it, ignore it. That's what I do.

About these quotes: nobody knows why people quote on this, or the quality they deliver, or even if they quote the price offered in the posting. No use speculating.
Collapse

Buck
Buck
Netherlands
Dutch to English
Funny Mar 31, 2008

I saw a job posted on another site for USD 0.035 LOL You might as well do it for free. Having said that, there will always be translators who will take such jobs.

[Edited at 2008-03-31 16:56]

Ioanna Orfanoudaki
Ioanna Orfanoudaki  Identity Verified
Belgium
French to Greek
+ ...
Agencies with humour Mar 31, 2008

Here's another one, just to make you show your dimples

"... have posted this job before but the client wants the bare minimum rate. Hence the offer again. The work involves work on a daily basis and will be on-going for 2 years, but payment will be 3-5 euros per page, we are willing to use students who have translation experience, the text is not difficult and if you can type and have mind to translate then this would
... See more
Here's another one, just to make you show your dimples

"... have posted this job before but the client wants the bare minimum rate. Hence the offer again. The work involves work on a daily basis and will be on-going for 2 years, but payment will be 3-5 euros per page, we are willing to use students who have translation experience, the text is not difficult and if you can type and have mind to translate then this would be perfect work for you, as you can work from home and have work on a daily basis..."

Maybe they need to offer the same job a few times before getting the message, or fall flat on their face when they see that they'll only get monkeys for paying peanuts... I personally don't offer monkey translations, too bad for them!
Collapse

Egmont
Egmont
Spain
Afrikaans to Spanish
+ ...
Forget it Mar 31, 2008

Viktoria Gimbe
Viktoria Gimbe  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 21:00
English to French
+ ...
May I correct that statement? Mar 31, 2008

Buck wrote:

Having said that, there will always be translators who will take such jobs.

I'd rather say: There will always be people who will take such jobs. I can hardly imagine someone taking such a job with such a rate and considering themselves translators. Even if they live in a developing country.

Hey, I can do insulin shots! I guess then I can say I'm a nurse - right?

Jeff Whittaker
Jeff Whittaker  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 21:00
Member (2002)
Spanish to English
+ ...
Low-priced jobs Mar 31, 2008

I do not think you can make any inferences based on the number of people who quote on a particular job. I will sometimes quote a rate that is above what the outsourcer is asking. I do not make any comments or negative remarks, but I do not spend a lot of time writing a decent quote either. I simply provide my rate, contact information and website.

The reason I believe that this is sometimes important is because if the outsourcer is genuinely unaware that his/her rate is too low and
... See more
I do not think you can make any inferences based on the number of people who quote on a particular job. I will sometimes quote a rate that is above what the outsourcer is asking. I do not make any comments or negative remarks, but I do not spend a lot of time writing a decent quote either. I simply provide my rate, contact information and website.

The reason I believe that this is sometimes important is because if the outsourcer is genuinely unaware that his/her rate is too low and subsequently receives only low offers, they will continue to do so and not realize that anything is wrong or they may inadvertently choose a less qualified translator because they were unaware that the rate they are offering resulted in fewer offers. However, if they also receive several offers at better rates, even if they do ultimately choose a person offering the lower rate, if and when there are any quality issues, they may point to the rate as a contributing factor and offer a higher rate on the next job.

I am not talking about companies who request “best-ever rates”, but about individuals and non-translation agencies who request things such as the translation of a 350 page book for $800.00. These people may be interested in quality, but may not realize that their offer is too low.

Kornelia Longoria wrote:

I don't mean to star another rate discussion, but

Whenever someone says "Don't get me started...", this usually means "...Are you ready? Because I'm starting..."

[Edited at 2008-03-31 20:10]

[Edited at 2008-03-31 20:11]
Collapse

Evonymus (Ewa Kazmierczak)
Evonymus (Ewa Kazmierczak)  Identity Verified
Poland
Member (2010)
English to Polish
+ ...
quoting/delivery deadline Mar 31, 2008

Kornelia Longoria wrote:
Is it really possible to submit 10,000 word translation for tomorrow?

Kornelia,
I think 01.04 it's the quoting deadline, whereas the delivery deadline is 07.04
but still the rates are wonderful
cheers, Ewa

[Edited at 2008-03-31 20:15]

Nicole Y. Adams, M.A.
Nicole Y. Adams, M.A.
Australia
Local time: 11:00
Member (2006)
German to English
+ ...
€0.01 Apr 1, 2008

Margreet Logmans wrote:

Yep, same in my pair. I actually contacted one of the job posters with my normal rate, stating that OBVIOUSLY they made a typo in the job posting (which said they offer €2.50 for a 250 word translation), and I GENUINELY believed they made a typo.

However, this was their response: "The rate was rightfully typed actually, 0,01 Euro/word. If you're still interested, please let me know."

No comment.

Jan Willem van Dormolen (X)
Jan Willem van Dormolen (X)  Identity Verified
Netherlands
English to Dutch
+ ...
Agency annoyed with comment Apr 10, 2008

Today an agency posted a job English > Dutch: a large number of texts of 375 words long, for a whopping 5 euros per text, because the texts were supposed to be easy and similar.
Nothing new about that.

But there was something new at the bottom:

"Ik zou het op prijs stellen dat er geen commentaar komt op de prijs die ik bied." - which is Dutch for: "I would appreciate it if I would not get any comments on the price I offer."
I mailed them that if they don't w
... See more
Today an agency posted a job English > Dutch: a large number of texts of 375 words long, for a whopping 5 euros per text, because the texts were supposed to be easy and similar.
Nothing new about that.

But there was something new at the bottom:

"Ik zou het op prijs stellen dat er geen commentaar komt op de prijs die ik bied." - which is Dutch for: "I would appreciate it if I would not get any comments on the price I offer."
I mailed them that if they don't want comment on their prices, they should offer reasonable prices. (just that, nothing else, nothing impolite, and with my full name and contact info)

Apparently people do quote on these kind of jobs, simply to tell the agencies that they stink.
Collapse

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

April Fool's offer?? (low-priced job)

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »