Pricing for proofreading jobs in French?
Thread poster: Murcielago70

Murcielago70
Austria
Local time: 21:04
English to German
+ ...
Apr 7, 2008

Hello,

My question is: What is an average price for French proofreading, i.e.
proofreading of a French text that has been translated before?

Thanks in advance,

Matthias

[Subject edited by staff or moderator 2008-04-07 11:01]

Direct link Reply with quote

ViktoriaG  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 15:04
English to French
+ ...
Do you mean proofreading or editing/reviewing? Apr 8, 2008

If you mean proofreading, which is just the checking of a monolingual text for linguistic correctness, spelling, grammar and readability, then it is usually charged at about a quarter of your per-word translation rate. If you mean editing/reviewing, that is, comparing source and target text to make sure that the target text does correspond to the source text, that nothing was skipped during translation, that the correct terminology was used, etc., then it is around half your per-word translation rate.

In any case, because the quality of the text may not be perfect and for other, rather obvious reasons, it is best if you simply charge by the hour for such tasks. Make sure you charge your hourly translation rate - an hour of your time is an hour of your time.

xxxNMR
France
French to Dutch
+ ...
Viktoria, you missed something Apr 8, 2008

This person is not a translator but an end user.

As an answer to his question: there is not one such price, it depends on how much text a translator can proofread in an hour, and therefore he needs to see your text. If everything is "normal", proofreading should cost about one-third of the translation price, and the translator proofreads about 1,000-1,200 words per hour. A simple spellcheck is quicker (10,000 characters per hour), and difficult or badly translated texts take more time. In France most translators charge € 30.00 - € 60.00 per hour, and don't add VAT if the client is in the EU.

Maria-Carmen
Local time: 20:04
English
An hourly rate Apr 9, 2008

Hello,

You should definitely agree on an hourly rate with the translator who is going to proofread the text - most translators will be able to give you their usual checking & editing rate per hour before seeing the source and the translated text -the difficulty of the proofreading task should be reflected in the number of hours spent with the text, not necessarily in the rate applied.

My advice is to reach an agreement beforehand about the maximum amount of time the proofreader should spend on a task to avoid unpleasant surprises. For example if they have a look at the translation and estimate if should take them around 3 hours to check it, agree with them that they should not spend more than 4 hours without talking to you first.

I hope this helps!

Carmen

Murcielago70
Austria
English to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you ! Apr 14, 2008

Hi Victoria, NMR, Maria-Carmen,

Thank you very much for your advice.

I has helped me a lot with my problem.

Kind regards,

Matthias

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Pricing for proofreading jobs in French?

Advanced search

Déjà Vu X3
Try it, Love it

Find out why Déjà Vu is today the most flexible, customizable and user-friendly tool on the market. See the brand new features in action: *Completely redesigned user interface *Live Preview *Inline spell checking *Inline

More info »
LSP.expert
You’re a freelance translator? LSP.expert helps you manage your daily translation jobs. It’s easy, fast and secure.

How about you start tracking translation jobs and sending invoices in minutes? You can also manage your clients and generate reports about your business activities. So you always keep a clear view on your planning, AND you get a free 30 day trial period!

More info »

All of ProZ.com
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs