Does a US company have to include VAT for a project in Ireland?
Thread poster: Sandra Alboum
Sandra Alboum
Sandra Alboum  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 13:10
Member (2003)
Spanish to English
+ ...
Apr 9, 2008

It would appear my company has been awarded a very large contract by an Irish entity. Hooray! We quoted our services without VAT, though, because we are a US company. Ireland is asking us if we need to add VAT onto our price.

Can anyone help me figure this out? I'd ask my accountant, but April 15th is tax day here in the States and he is absolutely SWAMPED right now.

Thanks.
Sandra

The Misha
The Misha
Russian to English
+ ...
There is no VAT in the US, Apr 9, 2008

nor are most services subject to sales tax. So why would you charge it?

Steven Capsuto
Steven Capsuto  Identity Verified
United States
Member (2004)
Spanish to English
+ ...
Not relevant for U.S. providers Apr 9, 2008

The United States does not have a value-added tax, so you don't need to charge it or include it in your price quotes.

RobinB
RobinB  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 12:10
German to English
You don't charge VAT.... Apr 9, 2008

Sandra Alboum wrote: It would appear my company has been awarded a very large contract by an Irish entity. Hooray! We quoted our services without VAT, though, because we are a US company. Ireland is asking us if we need to add VAT onto our price.

.... but of course the Irish company itself has to add "import VAT" to your invoiced amounts in its VAT accounts, while at the same time claiming an offsetting amount as input VAT. But they really ought to know that. A customer that asks *you* what the tax position is might warrant a little more investigation (e.g. a thorough credit check). I presume that you've agreed advance and progress payments?

Orla Ryan
Orla Ryan  Identity Verified
Ireland
Local time: 18:10
Irish revenue link Apr 9, 2008

Have you checked: http://www.revenue.ie/index.htm?/leaflets/vat_eservices.htm ?

Orla

Daina Jauntirans
Daina Jauntirans  Identity Verified
Local time: 12:10
German to English
+ ...
Even good clients ask questions like that Apr 9, 2008

I wouldn't automatically assume that the client is dodgy. I have good clients who ask me for my IBAN, which isn't used in the States either, but they pay the full amount promptly, etc. In some cases this information was requested by their banks, which is more disturbing to me!

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Does a US company have to include VAT for a project in Ireland?

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »