Warning against fraudulent offer from fake publishing house
Thread poster: Enrica Brancaleoni
Enrica Brancaleoni  Identity Verified
Local time: 15:15
English to Italian
+ ...
Apr 10, 2008

Hello everybody.
This is just to warn as many people as possible that if you receive a job offer by an elleged publishing house from Russia you're warmly advised to reject it. It is not a true publishing house: they "copied" the website and violated the intellectual property of a true Russian publishing house.
It is a fraud. They offer very high rates for vet translations; after few weeks working, they tell you that you're going to receive your first wage and then they tell you that, out of a mistake, you've been sent morey money than expected and ask you to send it to someone else in Ukraine through Western Union.
It is stolen money so don't accept their offer because your translations won't be paid and you'll get a denounce for the money you receive in your bank account.
Please try to warn as many people as you can.

[Edited at 2008-04-11 08:19]

[Subject edited by staff or moderator 2008-04-11 10:46]

Direct link Reply with quote

Ralf Lemster  Identity Verified
English to German
+ ...
First warning posted on 10MAR2008 Apr 11, 2008

Hi Enrica,
Sorry to hear about your experience.

From your description, it would appear that this is the same fraudster (or at least the same modus operandi) as described in a similar topic about a month ago. You may want to contact the poster of that topic.

Best regards,

Lorenzo Lilli  Identity Verified
German to Italian
+ ...
I think I had the same experience Apr 22, 2008

Or at least, it sounds very similar. I was contacted a few days ago by an alleged Russian publisher but refused the job straight away as I had no time. But then I was curious to know if the proposal was serious, as the e-mail looked a bit strange. Their website was only in Russian (not even one word in English, also a bit strange for a publisher operating at an international level), so I guess it was just a scam. Thanks for your warning.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Warning against fraudulent offer from fake publishing house

Advanced search

Translation news

Déjà Vu X3
Try it, Love it

Find out why Déjà Vu is today the most flexible, customizable and user-friendly tool on the market. See the brand new features in action: *Completely redesigned user interface *Live Preview *Inline spell checking *Inline

More info »
memoQ translator pro
Kilgray's memoQ is the world's fastest developing integrated localization & translation environment rendering you more productive and efficient.

With our advanced file filters, unlimited language and advanced file support, memoQ translator pro has been designed for translators and reviewers who work on their own, with other translators or in team-based translation projects.

More info »

All of
  • All of
  • Term search
  • Jobs