Client from India will not pay - what can I do?
Thread poster: Hilzendegen (X)
Hilzendegen (X)
Hilzendegen (X)
Local time: 05:46
English to German
Apr 11, 2008

Hi,

I have a problem with a client from India. I have invoiced the client for several relatively large projects. Since then, I have not heard back from him. I have sent several emails with reminders, but there is just static coming from the other end of the line.

Is there anything I can do?

Thanks, I appreciate your help!

marko

[Subject edited by staff or moderator 2008-04-11 17:08]

irvinder
irvinder
Local time: 10:16
English to Punjabi
Can i be of any help Apr 11, 2008

Hi,
I live in India and was wondering if i could be of any help in recovering your amount.

If you are interested you could forward me details about his address and other contact references. I would not mind looking it over. This guys conduct over the net surely gives Indians a bad name which i believe is not true by and large.

So if i could be of any help just do let me know

With regards

-Irvinder-

Selcuk Akyuz
Selcuk Akyuz  Identity Verified
Türkiye
Local time: 07:46
English to Turkish
+ ...
There are good agencies and bad agencies Apr 11, 2008

But they are in all countries not only in India (or Russia as Mikhail Kropotov pointed out above). An agency from Canada, Germany or the United Kingdom may also be a bad (or non-) payer. One should always check the BlueBoard and similar lists before accepting a job.

casey
casey  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 00:46
Japanese to English
True, but... Apr 11, 2008

Selcuk Akyuz wrote:

But they are in all countries not only in India (or Russia as Mikhail Kropotov pointed out above). An agency from Canada, Germany or the United Kingdom may also be a bad (or non-) payer. One should always check the BlueBoard and similar lists before accepting a job.

That's true, but from what I have seen on the forums here there seems to be a disproportionate number of bad ones in India.

Ralf Lemster
Ralf Lemster  Identity Verified
Germany
English to German
+ ...
No generalisations, please Apr 11, 2008

Hi all,
Please refrain from generalisations, in particular regarding the (credit) 'quality' of outsourcers in a particular country. Based on my experience gained over five years of moderating ProZ.com Jobs and BB, the worst non-payment cases (both in terms of damages and the number of providers involved) were caused by outsourcers in so-called 'developed' or industrial countries.

Best regards,
Ralf

alz
alz  Identity Verified
Croatia
English to Croatian
+ ...
serious agency or just a fancy webpage? Apr 11, 2008

Unfortunately most of the times behind a goodsounding name and a fancy webpage there is only a desk, a PC and a phone line.

The "nationality" of the "agency" is not a warranty.

From my personal experience, Blue Board is the best and only tool in determinating wether an agecy is trustfull outsourcer or not.

Michael GREEN
Michael GREEN  Identity Verified
France
English to French
Risks increase with distance ... Apr 11, 2008

I'm sorry you're having this problem.

The further your client is, the bigger the risk.

My policy (with some proven exceptions) is never to work with clients who are further than reasonable transport costs for myself and a very large friend ....

If you often accept jobs from distant (or doubtful) clients, then why not take out credit insurance ? Depending on the countries you deal with, and the credit-worthiness of your clients, it will cost you a few percen
... See more
I'm sorry you're having this problem.

The further your client is, the bigger the risk.

My policy (with some proven exceptions) is never to work with clients who are further than reasonable transport costs for myself and a very large friend ....

If you often accept jobs from distant (or doubtful) clients, then why not take out credit insurance ? Depending on the countries you deal with, and the credit-worthiness of your clients, it will cost you a few percent of your turnover for peace of mind - and your credit insurer will tell you if a new client is a bad risk or not. If you DO get a bad debt from a client the insurer has accepted to cover, he (the insurer) will pay you a percentage (usually 75%) of the money you are owed.

I'm sure there are many worthy clients and outsourcers in countries 5 000 km from me (eg USA) but I do not look for, or accept, jobs from them.

I'm busy enough with "local" clients, who can be visited if they "forget" to pay my bills. Also their rates are better.

[Edited at 2008-04-11 13:22]
Collapse

Harry Bornemann
Harry Bornemann  Identity Verified
Mexico
Local time: 22:46
English to German
+ ...
Just imagine they won't pay Apr 11, 2008

Hilzendegen wrote:
Is there anything I can do?

Recently I rejected a client from Taiwan because I have no idea how to collect invoices there and he had no Blueboard or equivalent references, nor was he willing to pay in advance.

Instead, he told me that I was secure because they had an in-house directive against deceit..

Karin Seelhof
Karin Seelhof  Identity Verified
Member (2006)
English to German
+ ...
No generalisation... Apr 11, 2008

I worked for several Indian agencies.
Besides the low payment I never had a reason to complain, they always paid me for the work.

Thus it is a bit unfair to to put them all into one box, isn't it?

inforays
inforays  Identity Verified
India
Local time: 10:16
English to Hindi
+ ...
Blue Board Apr 11, 2008

As someone said Blue Board should be consulted before taking up any job. If the outsourcer does not have an entry, ask for an advance to at least cover your costs.

And please make an entry into the Blue Board for any defaulter agencies/client so that others benefit from the feedback.

[Edited at 2008-04-11 16:31]

Ralf Lemster
Germany
English to German
+ ...
Once again: do not generalise Apr 11, 2008

Unfortunately, my request to refrain from generalising was not respected by everyone. As a result, and following a complaint by a fellow member, I have hidden some postings in this topic, as they were in breach of general site rule #2.

Best regards,
Ralf

wonita (X)
wonita (X)
China
Local time: 01:46
No generalising? Apr 13, 2008

Ralf Lemster wrote:

Unfortunately, my request to refrain from generalising was not respected by everyone. As a result, and following a complaint by a fellow member, I have hidden some postings in this topic, as they were in breach of general site rule #2.

Best regards,
Ralf

As if translators were living in another planet.

Why does a Chinese need a visa to enter Germany whereas a Singaporean doesn't, although some Chinese are much better off than some Singaporeans?

Because it is, by large, a country-based issue.

[Edited at 2008-04-13 17:00]

[Edited at 2008-04-13 17:04]

Ralf Lemster
Germany
English to German
+ ...
...and please stay on topic. Apr 13, 2008

Hi Bin,

Because it is, by large, a country-based issue.

I'm fully aware of country risks - but essentially, these are defined by the ability to enforce claims in a foreign jurisdiction.

If the occurrence of multiple non-payment cases in a particular country was indicative of all outsourcers in that country, we would need to exclude the majority of EU member states.

Can we please get back on topic now? Thanks.

Best regards,
Ralf

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Client from India will not pay - what can I do?

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »