Thread poster: French Locale
French Locale
French Locale
Local time: 13:15
English to French
+ ...
Jan 9, 2002

Hello,

I\'m currently filling out a vendor questionnaire for a localisation company and in the CAT field I have no idea on how to adapt my rates according to the match %. Could someone provide me with an average ratio % / normal rate if the match is 0 - 74%, 75 - 94%, 95 - 99%.

Thanks a lot.

Véronique

Joeri Van Liefferinge
Joeri Van Liefferinge  Identity Verified
Belgium
English to Dutch
+ ...
Don't give discounts for something you paid for Jan 9, 2002

If you have a cat tool, you are the one who paid for it. It is an investment you made and it\'s not the client who should benefit from your investment.

If you have a 50% match for a sentence, the result is probably still a useless translation. You have to at least read it and most probably correct it. That will take almost as much time as simply translating it. I don\'t see why I should give a discount for that.

You made the investment to boost *your* profits, not your client
... See more
If you have a cat tool, you are the one who paid for it. It is an investment you made and it\'s not the client who should benefit from your investment.

If you have a 50% match for a sentence, the result is probably still a useless translation. You have to at least read it and most probably correct it. That will take almost as much time as simply translating it. I don\'t see why I should give a discount for that.

You made the investment to boost *your* profits, not your client\'s.

If the client wants discounts on matches, I have a simple solution. I work with Déjà Vu. If the client wants discounts on matches, he has to send me a Déjà Vu file and lock the exact matches. A sentence that is not locked, is charged at 100%, even if, when running it through my database, I have an exact match. I didn\'t invest all that money to earn less, it\'s as simple as that.

And if a client can\'t live with that, too bad for him, but I refuse the job (even if I don\'t have another project at that time).

Remember: refusing clients is good for your image. (If you don\'t exaggerate... ;o) )
Collapse

French Locale
French Locale
English to French
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
I do agree with you, but... Jan 9, 2002

Thanks for your answer.

Yes, I know what you mean. I\'ve been working in the localisation field for 10 years and never used a CAT software before - and never had been asked to anyway (just once to evaluate the impact using Trados would have on the company\'s localisation teams - but as I was not really interested and as noone bothered about it, we gave up - and everyone survived without it). I do really want to work with that localisation company though (highly professional and I have
... See more
Thanks for your answer.

Yes, I know what you mean. I\'ve been working in the localisation field for 10 years and never used a CAT software before - and never had been asked to anyway (just once to evaluate the impact using Trados would have on the company\'s localisation teams - but as I was not really interested and as noone bothered about it, we gave up - and everyone survived without it). I do really want to work with that localisation company though (highly professional and I have been recommended to them), but will probably only apply a slight discount over 95%.
Collapse

Werner George Patels, M.A., C.Tran.(ATIO) (X)
Werner George Patels, M.A., C.Tran.(ATIO) (X)
Local time: 07:15
German to English
+ ...
Absolutely right!!!! Jan 10, 2002

Quote:

On 2002-01-09 14:06, King Darling wrote:

If you have a 50% match for a sentence, the result is probably still a useless translation. You have to at least read it and most probably correct it. That will take almost as much time as simply translating it. I don\'t see ... See more
Quote:

On 2002-01-09 14:06, King Darling wrote:

You made the investment to boost *your* profits, not your client\'s.

If the client wants discounts on matches, I have a simple solution. I work with Déjà Vu. If the client wants discounts on matches, he has to send me a Déjà Vu file and lock the exact matches. A sentence that is not locked, is charged at 100%, even if, when running it through my database, I have an exact match. I didn\'t invest all that money to earn less, it\'s as simple as that.

And if a client can\'t live with that, too bad for him, but I refuse the job (even if I don\'t have another project at that time).

Remember: refusing clients is good for your image. (If you don\'t exaggerate... ;o) )

Perfect. Nothing more to add. ▲ Collapse

Geri Linda Metterle
Geri Linda Metterle
English to German
+ ...
Discounts and CAT Tools Jan 10, 2002

Yes, King Darling is so d..n right with that.

Nothing more to add.

Geri
[addsig]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

CAT Tools - rates / match percentage

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »