https://www.proz.com/forum/money_matters/102016-are_there_standard_translators_fees.html

Are there standard translator's fees?
Thread poster: Sara Molinari
Sara Molinari
Sara Molinari  Identity Verified
Italy
Local time: 07:00
English to Italian
+ ...
Apr 11, 2008

Hello everybody,
can someone tell me the Italian standard translation fees? As I understand it depends on the length, on the urgency of a work, etc. but are there established/ fixed translation fees per page or per word to refer to? In case a client ask you for a pricelist, what would you tell him?

thanks a lot

[Subject edited by staff or moderator 2008-04-11 17:38]

Ralf Lemster
Ralf Lemster  Identity Verified
Germany
English to German
+ ...
*You* decide Apr 11, 2008

Hi Sara,
There's no such thing as standard fees: you run an independent business, so it's up to you to decide.

Don't get me wrong: I'm sure there will be many colleages willing to give you a pointer. But if a client asks you for a quote, and asks you to substantiate your pricing, saying that "someone else told you so" will leave you in a bad negotiating position.

To get an idea about pricing, why don't you take a look at the ProZ.com Rate Calculator?

Best regards,
Ralf
Collapse

Giuliana Buscaglione
Giuliana Buscaglione  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 22:00
Member (2001)
German to Italian
+ ...
The service provider proposes according to various factors Apr 11, 2008

Hi Sara,

apart from what Ralf has already said, the rate also varies according to and depends on some other factors your target market (Country), end client or agency, the field, text format, required services and on your qualifications and experience plus offered services in general.

Giuliana

Astrid Elke Witte
Astrid Elke Witte  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2002)
German to English
+ ...
You could have a look what agencies charge Apr 11, 2008

Hi Sara,

I do not know anything about rates for your language pair. However, I remember that, some years ago, when trying to establish my rates, I looked up all the translation agencies' web pages. A certain number of them do have a page telling you their prices. From that you can conclude what they might be willing to pay you, given that they need to add a minimum of 40% to your price in order to make a living.

Astrid

[Edited at 2008-04-11 21:03]

Izabela Szczypka
Izabela Szczypka  Identity Verified
Spain
English to Polish
+ ...
BTW, Ralf... Apr 12, 2008

Ralf Lemster wrote:

To get an idea about pricing, why don't you take a look at the ProZ.com Rate Calculator?

Best regards,
Ralf

I went to the Rates section a moment ago just to check if I am still at the same point of the curve - I am , but the applied EUR>PLN exchange rate must be prehistoric and I am afraid could be misleading to the potential customers who want to pay in the national currency and therefore will not pay attention to my basic EUR rates. I don't want them to run away from me in horror - please do something about it EUR rates are OK, but the difference from the actual PLN rates is already in the 70% region...
And those colleagues who have set their rates in $$ might suffer still more, while those using national currencies for basic rates might get an unfair advantage. That is, provided that a potential customer sees my rates in both currencies or in the national currency only.
How often are the exchange rates updated, I wonder? I suppose, in the current situation anything over a month would be harmful to us as service providers.

[Edited at 2008-04-12 19:42]

Ralf Lemster
Ralf Lemster  Identity Verified
Germany
English to German
+ ...
Rates Calculator vs. Rates Apr 12, 2008

Hi Iza,
I referred to the Rates Calculator - the Rates system is currently under 'construction'. The update of exchange rates is also being reviewed in this context.

Best regards,
Ralf

Izabela Szczypka
Izabela Szczypka  Identity Verified
Spain
English to Polish
+ ...
Great ! Apr 12, 2008

Ralf Lemster wrote:

Hi Iza,
I referred to the Rates Calculator ...

Best regards,
Ralf

Yes, I know - it was just a natural progression from Rate Calculator to Rates.
I am happy to hear the situation will change soon.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Are there standard translator's fees?

Translation news

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »