https://www.proz.com/forum/money_matters/102082-jobs_site_charges_15_commission_on_any_order_in_advance_.html

Jobs site charges 15% commission on any order IN ADVANCE !
Thread poster: Elene P.
Elene P.
Elene P.  Identity Verified
Georgia
Member (2007)
English to Georgian
+ ...
Apr 12, 2008

Hi everybody.
Have you had an experience working with ------- outsorcing website which charges a huge commission of 15% of any translation order and in advance!!!

I got a request from there, saying that there was a client interested in my profile for the potential work.

The mechanism is as follows: once you receive such "booking", you enter a bid for this proposal, if a client accepts the bid then you are being charged a commission of 15% of total amount in adva
... See more
Hi everybody.
Have you had an experience working with ------- outsorcing website which charges a huge commission of 15% of any translation order and in advance!!!

I got a request from there, saying that there was a client interested in my profile for the potential work.

The mechanism is as follows: once you receive such "booking", you enter a bid for this proposal, if a client accepts the bid then you are being charged a commission of 15% of total amount in advance and given an address of the client. Afterwards, if client changes his/her mind, this ------ outsourcing website promises to refund the commission....

BUT, in job announcement nothing was written about deadline. I work only part-time, if all this mechanism starts and client gives me bad deadline I would not be able to refuse and the commission will be already charged...

What is your advice? Have you had any experience with this ------- outsorcing website (I can not name it) or similar ones?

[Subject edited by staff or moderator 2008-04-12 13:14]
Collapse

Oleg Rudavin
Oleg Rudavin  Identity Verified
Ukraine
Local time: 18:45
Member (2003)
English to Ukrainian
+ ...
Hi Elena! Apr 12, 2008

Look, isn't it weird that translators (who are supposed to be paid at a later date) are charged a commission instead of the oursourcer who is supposed to pay?

I didn't have any experience - nor that I want to have any - with a middleman that invented a new way of making money out of the air.

Do their rules mention something like "full refund except for a percentage as a processing fee" in a small font?

[Edited at 2008-04-12 12:43]

Kevin Fulton
Kevin Fulton  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 11:45
German to English
Lots of reliable agencies Apr 12, 2008

You don't need to go through a fly-by-night website in order to find a job. There are literally hundreds, if not thousands, of agencies who can be verified and who can be relied upon to act as a genuine intermediary between a translator and a buyer of translations. The agency obtains the requirements from the end client and transmits these, plus any agency requirements (usually a different deadline if the agency performs a quality check, which it should). Normally an agency takes its commission... See more
You don't need to go through a fly-by-night website in order to find a job. There are literally hundreds, if not thousands, of agencies who can be verified and who can be relied upon to act as a genuine intermediary between a translator and a buyer of translations. The agency obtains the requirements from the end client and transmits these, plus any agency requirements (usually a different deadline if the agency performs a quality check, which it should). Normally an agency takes its commission from the amount the end client pays to the agency. Paying money up front makes no sense and is risky.Collapse

Elene P.
Georgia
Member (2007)
English to Georgian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
you're absolutely right! Apr 12, 2008

15% it's really huge...
You are right, they are "making money out of the air".
How clever, that I did not get involved!!!

Anna Villegas
Anna Villegas
Mexico
Local time: 09:45
English to Spanish
My experience Apr 12, 2008

A popular translators site where I was subscribed to, emailed me saying that a client was interested in my service. Wow, I thought, a new client, good, and there I go clicking the link. "Please pay 10 dollars in order to see the client's message", was the response. "Ten dollars", I thought, "not a high fee for a job and new client"; so, there was me paying with my debit card...

I never received an answer from the pretended client! I was cheated.
See more
A popular translators site where I was subscribed to, emailed me saying that a client was interested in my service. Wow, I thought, a new client, good, and there I go clicking the link. "Please pay 10 dollars in order to see the client's message", was the response. "Ten dollars", I thought, "not a high fee for a job and new client"; so, there was me paying with my debit card...

I never received an answer from the pretended client! I was cheated.
Collapse

Elene P.
Georgia
Member (2007)
English to Georgian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
:( Apr 12, 2008

Lucky you that for only 10 dollars

I deleted my profile on that dubious ------ outsourcing website

Anne Bohy
Anne Bohy  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 17:45
English to French
I never enter my profile when I am only asked for that Apr 12, 2008

When I am contacted directly by e-mail, it is usually by agencies who have an urgent job. I also receive some e-mails from agencies or even from Web sites, asking me to enter my profile, just in case...
I did that once or twice with agencies which looked reliable, but even then I never got any further news. I never do that on job sites that I have not chosen myself (I mean, not through e-mails).
As unsollicited e-mails is the modern pleague, it is very important to give as little fee
... See more
When I am contacted directly by e-mail, it is usually by agencies who have an urgent job. I also receive some e-mails from agencies or even from Web sites, asking me to enter my profile, just in case...
I did that once or twice with agencies which looked reliable, but even then I never got any further news. I never do that on job sites that I have not chosen myself (I mean, not through e-mails).
As unsollicited e-mails is the modern pleague, it is very important to give as little feedback as possible to any of them (not even displaying images or clicking on links)
Collapse

Viktoria Gimbe
Viktoria Gimbe  Identity Verified
Canada
English to French
+ ...
For the record Apr 13, 2008

I would not touch such a website with a 39.5-foot pole. Ever.

Elene P.
Georgia
Member (2007)
English to Georgian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks to everyone! Apr 13, 2008

Happily I did not get into this trap.

Joan Berglund
Joan Berglund  Identity Verified
United States
Member (2008)
French to English
I may have heard from these guys Apr 15, 2008

The weird unsolicited translation test (received by email) I mentioned in another thread may have come from this place. I think later on after the odd and syntactically baroque questions, there was a section about wanting a 15% cut, but I never really got that far, since the whole communication was too annoying to bother with. Was the name a really generic, obvious choice for a translation agency similar to a dozen other agencies listed on the blue board?

Elene P.
Georgia
Member (2007)
English to Georgian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
No Apr 15, 2008

It seemed to be a solid webportal. Unfortunately I am forbidden to name this webpage. I did not like this payment in advance and also it was quite big 15%.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Jobs site charges 15% commission on any order IN ADVANCE !

Translation news

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »