Recovering VAT in Europe outside country of residence
Thread poster: Nicholas Stedman
Nicholas Stedman
Nicholas Stedman  Identity Verified
Italy
Local time: 04:18
French to English
Apr 28, 2008

General Case: If you are a Freelance translator based in one EC country can you recover the VAT paid in another EC country (for instance if you buy a program/computer/make telephone calls when you are working in a country outside your country of residence) and if so how?

Specific Case: translator residing and paying VAT (TVA) in France but working 3 months of the year in Italy. How do I recover IVA paid on all my expenses in Italy.

Thanks in advance for any help

Lori Cirefice
Lori Cirefice  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 04:18
French to English
Find a specialized company Apr 28, 2008

There are companies specialized in VAT recovery, they take care of everything and charge a commission, but I believe it's worth it, especially if you have a large amount to recover. If the amount to recover is less than 200€, maybe forget about it ... too complicated to recover for small amounts.

You will need :
- a document proving that you are VAT registered (usually needs to be signed/stamped by your tax authorities)
- all the ORIGINAL invoices, in the proper form
... See more
There are companies specialized in VAT recovery, they take care of everything and charge a commission, but I believe it's worth it, especially if you have a large amount to recover. If the amount to recover is less than 200€, maybe forget about it ... too complicated to recover for small amounts.

You will need :
- a document proving that you are VAT registered (usually needs to be signed/stamped by your tax authorities)
- all the ORIGINAL invoices, in the proper format (keep copies)
- whatever forms/proxy the VAT recovery company asks you to fill in

In my experience, it usually takes at least a year to get the VAT back. I have done this (from France) for Italian and German VAT. I was not successful with Spain, there was some "apostille" I had to get from the Préfecture, and the Préfecture had no idea what that was, so I gave up!
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Recovering VAT in Europe outside country of residence

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »