Match, fuzzy match, exact match..how do you rate these?
Thread poster: Rebecca Lyne
Rebecca Lyne
Rebecca Lyne
France
French to English
+ ...
Apr 28, 2008

Hi all,

I am looking for some pricing logic. I don't use a CAT tool but have been asked to quote based on CAT tool pricing. I will use in-house software for the job.

How do you price the following in relation to your standard rates?

1. no match (so standard rates)
2. fuzzy match
3. exact matc

Thanks!

Rebecca

Allesklar
Allesklar  Identity Verified
Australia
Local time: 23:57
English to German
+ ...
Too many unknown factors in this equation Apr 28, 2008

If you agree to accept let's say 50% of your normal pay for a fuzzy match and 25% for 100%/repetition, then you are betting that these will only take you a corresponding amount of time to process.

This may or may not be the case, depending on:

First of all on the software: how familiar are you with it, how robust is it's term recognition, how user-friendly is it in general. It is very well to agree to get less money for a Trados fuzzy match, but what if their software
... See more
If you agree to accept let's say 50% of your normal pay for a fuzzy match and 25% for 100%/repetition, then you are betting that these will only take you a corresponding amount of time to process.

This may or may not be the case, depending on:

First of all on the software: how familiar are you with it, how robust is it's term recognition, how user-friendly is it in general. It is very well to agree to get less money for a Trados fuzzy match, but what if their software doesn't work as well or is such a pain to use that it slows you down? See if you can get to do a test run on the software with a representative sample and work out how long it takes you. Alternatively accept a small portion first.

Will they supply an existing TM ? If so, how good is it - could be anything between a great help down to a major headache.

Then there is nature of the text, if it's a product list, specification table or some repetitive instructions where grammar doesn't come into play, the TM will be very useful. In other types of text, also depending on your language combination, adapting an 80% match mey well be more than 50% of the translation effort.

Anyway, I don't like those scales and find that the best clients I am having pay flat rates. An agency will have negotiated a price for the job with the end client (or budgeted for the job, if they are the end client), so they really could just give you a straightforward rate. The only purpose of these pricing scales is that they are trying to barter you down, which I find annoyingly stingy.

But there is good news: I know for fact from the occasional proofreading job I am doing that even agencies who pay reasonable prices are struggling to find translators who can do a good job - and these are the ones I want to work for.
Collapse

Heinrich Pesch
Heinrich Pesch  Identity Verified
Finland
Local time: 17:27
Member (2003)
Finnish to German
+ ...
Not without CAT Apr 29, 2008

If you don't use a CAT-tool there is no reason for you to take these faktors into account. Just cite a charge depending on text amount and difficulty.
Without CAT-tool you'll spend more time on the job than a translator with CAT, so you could eventually be more expensive.
And if you try to look up the tm without a CAT-tool, you'll spend even more time.
Cheers
Heinrich

Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Local time: 16:27
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
Quote based on what's realistic Apr 29, 2008

rebeccalyne wrote:
I don't use a CAT tool but have been asked to quote based on CAT tool pricing. I will use in-house software for the job.

Try to guess how much quicker you can translate a fuzzy match compared to an exact match. If you think it'll take you only half as long to translate a fuzzy match, then charge half your usual rate for it.

Ultimately you get paid per hour. The word rate is simply a simple way of calculating the most likely hourly rate. The same goes for fuzzy matches. Just convert the hourly rate into the fuzzy word rate.

Rebecca Lyne
Rebecca Lyne
France
French to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Fuzzies? Apr 29, 2008

Thanks everyone

How then do you define a "fuzzy" match?

Thanks again!

Vito Smolej
Vito Smolej
Germany
Local time: 16:27
Member (2004)
English to Slovenian
+ ...
SITE LOCALIZER
Its nothing until a CAT tool called it Apr 29, 2008

How then do you define a "fuzzy" match?

I define it as the number, TRADOS Analyse gets for me. Pretty much the same approach as in the case of the IQ: it's the results of the IQ test. The number does correlate with something called intelligence, but I would be hard-pressed to tell the algorithm / method used to get it.

I am more and more in favor of an all-or-nothing profile: charging nothing for repetitions (I do get paid for the first occurrence, the rest is N/C) and 100% not just for no-matches but for all those XX% fuzzies.

regards

Vito

[Edited at 2008-04-29 23:18]

Allesklar
Australia
English to German
+ ...
calculator Apr 30, 2008

In order to gain some clarity, here is a little rate calculator I have put together:

http://www.allesklar.my.proz.com/rate%20calc.exe

Obviously, I will accept no responsibility whatsoever for anything you do or don't do with this software, any decisions that you base on it or anything it may do or fail to do to you or your or someone else's computer.

... See more
In order to gain some clarity, here is a little rate calculator I have put together:

http://www.allesklar.my.proz.com/rate%20calc.exe

Obviously, I will accept no responsibility whatsoever for anything you do or don't do with this software, any decisions that you base on it or anything it may do or fail to do to you or your or someone else's computer.

It will ask you for your target hourly rate, the wordcount of the job, how long you think it is going to take, the number of NoMatches, Fuzzies and Repetitions and finally the percentage of the NoMatch rate that you offer/is offered for Fuzzies and Reps. It will then tell you how much you need to charge per word and how much per NM, FM or REP.

It's compiled in FreeBasic.

[Edited at 2008-04-30 03:50]
Collapse

Rebecca Lyne
Rebecca Lyne
France
French to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
thanks! May 12, 2008

Thank you all!

Allesklar
Australia
English to German
+ ...
calculator link Oct 6, 2008

Due to popular demand, here is the updated link:

http://www.germanlink.com.au/ratecalc.exe

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Match, fuzzy match, exact match..how do you rate these?

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »