rates for technical translation
Thread poster: Kathleen O'Connor
Kathleen O'Connor
Germany
Local time: 08:56
German to English
+ ...
May 1, 2008

I am about to discuss a price with a company who wish me to do a technical translation for their company.
German> English.
It is approx 60 pages long, unfortunately i have not been able to view the detail or actual document yet.
I would however, like to know a general guideline, on the best price to offer the company.
it is a new client, and i am hoping that they will have a lot more work for me in the future.
thank you for any help you can offer,
Caitlin

Direct link Reply with quote

Ralf Lemster  Identity Verified
Germany
English to German
+ ...
Get to see the document(s) first May 1, 2008

Hi Caitlín,
I realise I'm not answering your question...

It is approx 60 pages long, unfortunately i have not been able to view the detail or actual document yet.

...my advice is not to quote unless you have seen the document, or at least a major part of it.

Best, Ralf

Kathleen O'Connor
Germany
German to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
thanks May 1, 2008

thanks for that,
but i would like a guideline on the average cost to charge per line for such a technical document.
i know that i would have to see it for to give an exact quote. but all im looking for is a general guideline

Sven Petersson  Identity Verified
Sweden
English to Swedish
+ ...
See my pricelist! May 1, 2008

See my pricelist (www.svenp.com/fees.htm)!

Sven Petersson
Medical translator

bohy  Identity Verified
France
English to French
+ ...
Have you specific expertise in the field? May 1, 2008

I do not think that there is any specific price for technical translation, unless it requires specific expertise in the field. You may want to quote more if it requires more time from you because you don't know the field... which is OK as long as you don't compete with more experienced (and faster) translators. Personally, I never quote without seeing the document.

LegalTransform  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 02:56
Member (2002)
Spanish to English
+ ...
Impossible to tell May 1, 2008

It would be impossible for you to give a price without first seeing the document. "Technical" can mean almost anything. Is this a direct client or an agency? Depending on the details, the price could range from .12 to .40 a word or more.

AniseK  Identity Verified
Malaysia
Local time: 14:56
Japanese to English
+ ...
Look at the document first May 2, 2008

Jeff Whittaker wrote:

It would be impossible for you to give a price without first seeing the document. "Technical" can mean almost anything. Is this a direct client or an agency? Depending on the details, the price could range from .12 to .40 a word or more.

Take a look at the document first, if you can, since this is a new customer. I agree with Jeff, on the rate. If the document turned out to be very technical, then, you can quote them a higher price.:-)

Kathleen O'Connor
Germany
German to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you! May 2, 2008

Thank you for all your useful advice and comments.

Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
Quote per hour May 5, 2008

Caitlín O'Connor wrote:

You haven't seen the document, therefore you have no idea how long it will take to do it. So the safest bet is to quote per hour. If the client wants to know how many hours, tell me it depends on the text.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

rates for technical translation

Advanced search

PerfectIt consistency checker
Faster Checking, Greater Accuracy

PerfectIt helps deliver error-free documents. It improves consistency, ensures quality and helps to enforce style guides. It’s a powerful tool for pro users, and comes with the assurance of a 30-day money back guarantee.

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »

All of ProZ.com
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs