Shaalini Bansal
Shaalini Bansal
United Kingdom
Local time: 09:28
English to Hindi
+ ...
May 6, 2008

Dear all,
I have an outstanding payment from a company based in UK who has not been paying me and coming up with all sorts of excuses.
The money involved is quite a substantial amount.
I have been told things like their accountant has not come in, to their managing director not being there, to the fact that they suddenly lost my Invoice!
At one stage I was told that payment had been made, but on calling them up I was told that they would pay the following week.
I am
... See more
Dear all,
I have an outstanding payment from a company based in UK who has not been paying me and coming up with all sorts of excuses.
The money involved is quite a substantial amount.
I have been told things like their accountant has not come in, to their managing director not being there, to the fact that they suddenly lost my Invoice!
At one stage I was told that payment had been made, but on calling them up I was told that they would pay the following week.
I am at my wits end with all the excuses I keep hearing each time.
Can anyone please help me out by letting me know how I can recover the amount of money.

P.S I tried checking their profile on Proz, but it says, ' There is no longer--or not yet--a user in this database with that ID'
Collapse

Damian Harrison (X)
Damian Harrison (X)
Germany
Local time: 10:28
German to English
Look here: May 6, 2008

This thread may be of interest to you:
http://www.proz.com/forum/money_matters/103901-translators_owed_money_by_a_certain_uk_agency-.html

[Edited at 2008-05-06 19:51]

Jeff Whittaker
Jeff Whittaker  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 04:28
Member (2002)
Spanish to English
+ ...
May 6, 2008

[Edited at 2008-05-06 20:21]

Ralf Lemster
Ralf Lemster  Identity Verified
Germany
English to German
+ ...
Post an entry on the Blue Board May 6, 2008

Dear Shalini,
I'm sorry to hear about your experience.

What you should do is post a Blue Board entry (assuming that the outsourcer has a BB record - if not, create one), together with a non-payment complaint.

Regarding your claim, may I suggest to search this forum for "collection agencies".

Best regards,
Ralf

Shaalini Bansal
Shaalini Bansal
United Kingdom
English to Hindi
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks! May 6, 2008

Dear Ralf,
Thanks for the info.
Shall do so.
I really hope that I am able to get my money.

Best regards,
Shalini

Madeleine MacRae Klintebo
Madeleine MacRae Klintebo  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Swedish to English
+ ...
Small claims court May 6, 2008

As both you and the client are in the UK, why not try the small claims court?

Doesn't cost very much, but considering the excuses you've been given, it might be a company heading for bankruptcy proceedings...

[Edited at 2008-05-06 21:18]

Henry Hinds
Henry Hinds  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 02:28
English to Spanish
+ ...
In memoriam
Sue May 7, 2008

The Blue Board will not get you your money, but threatening a lawsuit might be all you need to do. Or if that is not enough, then carry through and sue. Apparently you are both in the same country so it would be quite feasible.

Start now.

Jennifer Forbes
Jennifer Forbes  Identity Verified
French to English
+ ...
In memoriam
Visit their office? May 7, 2008

Dear Shalini,
It's a wretched situation, isn't it?
Where is their office? If it's not too long a journey (you're both in the UK) it might be worth actually visiting their office in person. I did this once with a French agency that owed me a lot of money and was giving me the usual runaround - an interesting experience that took them very much by surprise and eventually induced them to pay me some of what they owed me. I made sure I was accompanied by a witness. The firm has since
... See more
Dear Shalini,
It's a wretched situation, isn't it?
Where is their office? If it's not too long a journey (you're both in the UK) it might be worth actually visiting their office in person. I did this once with a French agency that owed me a lot of money and was giving me the usual runaround - an interesting experience that took them very much by surprise and eventually induced them to pay me some of what they owed me. I made sure I was accompanied by a witness. The firm has since gone bankrupt, and it sounds as if your client might be in that position soon, so whatever you do, do it soon!
For fuller details of what happened in my case, please contact me personally.
Best of luck!
Jenny
Collapse

Shaalini Bansal
Shaalini Bansal
United Kingdom
English to Hindi
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Have taken your advice May 7, 2008

Dear Henry,
Have taken your advice.
Hopefully they shall respond and make the payment. Am keeping my fingers crossed!

Shaalini Bansal
Shaalini Bansal
United Kingdom
English to Hindi
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Nothing seems to get them to pay May 9, 2008

Dear All,
I have tried everything possible and have even threatened to sue them if they do not pay. But there is complete silence from there end and when I called them today the answer that I got was that the Boss was away on a vacation and my PM is on leave.
I wonder if they do not have the money to pay me how does he finance vacations for himself every week!

Jennifer Forbes
Jennifer Forbes  Identity Verified
French to English
+ ...
In memoriam
Where are they? May 9, 2008

Shalini Bansal wrote:

Dear All,
I have tried everything possible and have even threatened to sue them if they do not pay. But there is complete silence from there end and when I called them today the answer that I got was that the Boss was away on a vacation and my PM is on leave.
I wonder if they do not have the money to pay me how does he finance vacations for himself every week!

Well, Shalini, I've already suggested this. Where are they located? Are they far away from where you live? If at all possible, go and visit them yourself, or ask someone nearer to go on your behalf, perhaps. At least you'd find out if they really exist at the address they give and what kind of (expensive?) offices they have.
Jenny

Viktoria Gimbe
Viktoria Gimbe  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 04:28
English to French
+ ...
Don't stop there May 9, 2008

Shalini Bansal wrote:

I have tried everything possible and have even threatened to sue them if they do not pay.

Why do you think they still don't react? Because they don't think you will actually carry through and sue them - they think you are simply using a scare tactic, like many of us have in the past. Show them what you're made of. Sue them! It's not like you have anything to lose. And since you already threatened them, they are even less motivated to pay you now, so this may be your only option at this point.

Do it soon. As others have already said, it may be that soon, they will be protected by bankruptcy law and even a judge will not be able to help you.

The money is yours - go get it!

Shaalini Bansal
Shaalini Bansal
United Kingdom
English to Hindi
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Shall most def. Sue them! May 9, 2008

Hi Viktoria,
Shall def. go ahead and sue them.
Am filing a case in the Small claims court on Monday.
It is high time clients realised that they should not mess with translators.
We work very hard and deserve to be paid our money and that to on time!

Brandis (X)
Brandis (X)
English to German
+ ...
small claims court seems to be the best solution... May 9, 2008

But there is always a danger of reassurance clause british agencies implement. They seem to get the job done within no time after receiving the translation. This had happened to me a couple of times. Loss value over 1000 pound sterling. They never mention the reassurance clause in the PO. This may sound like a genrality but also escapism on the part of british agencies. Best regards, Brandis

Alfredo Fernández Martínez
Alfredo Fernández Martínez  Identity Verified
Spain
English to Spanish
+ ...
Simply, take them to court - Small claims court May 9, 2008

Yes, I did it when I was in the UK, against one employer of mine.. and I nearly won... Documents were contradictory...
But, hey, they paid the fees (10%), and got really nervous and scared... and I was very close to the win-win situation!

All in all.. It went on for about 5-7 months

Nowadays you can do it online... It really works, as long as you have all documents as proof..

... See more
Yes, I did it when I was in the UK, against one employer of mine.. and I nearly won... Documents were contradictory...
But, hey, they paid the fees (10%), and got really nervous and scared... and I was very close to the win-win situation!

All in all.. It went on for about 5-7 months

Nowadays you can do it online... It really works, as long as you have all documents as proof..

Do not hesitate... it's your money, worked and earned by you!

http://www.hmcourts-service.gov.uk/infoabout/claims/index.htm

You only have to advance that 10%

By the way, they may actually pay you, to avoid having to send someone to the preliminary hearing

Best of luck,

Alfredo

[Edited at 2008-05-09 18:44]
Collapse

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Client not paying

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »