Rant: Discounts
Thread poster: Stephanie Mitchel
Stephanie Mitchel
Stephanie Mitchel  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 23:06
French to English
Apr 22, 2003

I know the economy is having a bad hangover, but when I see job offers that state \"we expect a discount given the high volume of text,\" and it\'s a (say) 10,000 word package with a 2-day deadline, well, I can hear my blood vessels constricting. As if the increased volume somehow lightened the load. I suppose the \'rush rate\' that rewards the extra panic factor and loss of sleep is a relic of the boom years. Phooey. Maybe I\'ll just give up and go to law school.
[addsig]

Daina Jauntirans
Daina Jauntirans  Identity Verified
Local time: 22:06
German to English
+ ...
Comes up again and again Apr 23, 2003

I think there was just an extensive thread somewhere about the pros and cons of discounts.

I don\'t give discounts, but what I have done when a customer doesn\'t want to accept a price increase was to offer the old rate for a certain type of (easier) text and the new rate for more difficult texts. Would that be an angle for you to try?

Ralf Lemster
Ralf Lemster  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 05:06
English to German
+ ...
Here's the thread Apr 23, 2003

Quote:

I think there was just an extensive thread somewhere about the pros and cons of discounts.

Spot on - the thread was posted by Bill Greendyk in the Business Issues forum.

Best, Ralf

Stephanie Mitchel
Stephanie Mitchel  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 23:06
French to English
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks... Apr 23, 2003

..for steering me to that other thread. Very helpful.

Cidália Martins (X)
Cidália Martins (X)
English
+ ...
Definitely not on a rush job May 20, 2003

Even if one were to offer a small discount based on volume (for the sake of cutomer relations, of course), common business practices usually dictate a surcharge on rush jobs. Wouldn\'t that cancel out the discount? Funny that they think to ask for a discount but fail to consider appropriate remuneration for the added stress of a last-minute job.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Rant: Discounts

Translation news

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »