Mobile menu

Seeking charging advice, 2 projects
Thread poster: parolista
parolista  Identity Verified
Local time: 05:34
French to English
+ ...
May 14, 2008

I would very much welcome some advice about to charge for two different jobs.
1. A book which I translated 2 years ago is going into a 2nd edition. The authors are friends but it was a correctly paid translation. Now, they have asked me to translate some new material and completely edit the original manuscript to freshen it up. I am delighted at this chance to improve on the first edition but have no experience in how I should charge. I imagine per word for the translation of the new material but what for the review of the original. iseas welcome.

2. Job 2 has just been done: the translation of a website (straight text) for a very large sports event taking place next year. This took me 2 weeks flat out as it contained pages and pages of text on the 10 sports disciplines involved and lots of pure publicity material. (it isn't the olympics but it s a world lvel event and I worked alone on the job). Some of the text is direcvtly related to the individual disciplines, requiring basic knowledge (which I have) plus additional internet research. I have to invoice at the same time for a marketing book which they produced for sponsors. Some of the text was the same but this was power point, so lots of dodging between panels.

Any advice from someone experienced in this sort of thing most welcome. The language pair is Italian to British English. I am resident in France.

I note that someone else has written the English text on the updates posted in the site since I tanslated it.

Thank you,
parolista, France.

Direct link Reply with quote

Alex Eames
Local time: 04:34
English to Polish
+ ...
Agree up front May 14, 2008

For job 2 you really should have a charging structure agreed with the client up front. Glad to see this is what you are trying to set in place for job 1. Job 2 sounds like a messy project. Some sort of wordcount rate plus hourly rate for "fiddly bits" might be appropriate, but as I say, you really ought to agree this up-front.

For job 1 I recommend an hourly rate for editing. If there is a lot of "clean" sections of new translation then you could charge for that on a word-count basis and hourly for the rest.

Hope this helps

Alex Eames
helping translators do better business

[Edited at 2008-05-14 14:45]

Arturo Delgado  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 23:34
English to Spanish
By the hour May 14, 2008

For these jobs, I would recommend you calculate the hours you worked and charge according to an hourly rate.
You should be paid according to the time you spent on these projects.
Good luck,

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Seeking charging advice, 2 projects

Advanced search

Translation news

SDL Trados Studio 2015 Freelance
The industry-leading translation software used by over 200,000 translators.

SDL Trados Studio helps translators increase translation productivity whilst ensuring quality. Combining translation memory, terminology management and machine translation in one simple and easy-to-use environment.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use SDL Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

More info »

All of
  • All of
  • Term search
  • Jobs