https://www.proz.com/forum/money_matters/10458-what%5Cs_it_all_about_payment_from_us_by_check.html

What\'s it all about payment from US by check?
Thread poster: abaensch
abaensch
abaensch
Germany
Local time: 07:16
English to German
Apr 24, 2003

Hi All,

in the latest job posting it says \"Translators must be able to receive payment from US by check. No bank wires.\"

Can anyone tell me what\'s this means for a translator located in Germany?

Thanks in advance

Andreas

Ralf Lemster
Ralf Lemster  Identity Verified
Germany
English to German
+ ...
Check the fees with your bank Apr 24, 2003

Hi.

I haven\'t seen the job you\'re referring to, but this means that the outsourcer makes it clear they will pay by sending a cheque drawn on a US bank. Check with your bank how much they will charge you for crediting such a cheque to your account - depending on the amount we\'re talking about, these charges can range from 10 to 30 euros, possibly even higher for larger amounts.

HTH - best regards, Ralf

Daina Jauntirans
Daina Jauntirans  Identity Verified
Local time: 00:16
German to English
+ ...
Because it's expensive Apr 24, 2003

The agency is probably making that a requirement because sending a wire transfer overseas from the US can cost in the neighborhood of US$40.

Paul Tomkins (X)
Paul Tomkins (X)
Korean to English
+ ...
Accepting payment in foreign currency cheques (checks) Apr 25, 2003

I looked into accepting cheques (checks) denominated in a foreign currency and issued by a foreign bank. My bank in Australia allows me to deposit such cheques into my account but there are two charges and there is a delay of about 20 days in processing the cheque.

1. There is a charge of about 5 Euros (in the case of my bank) due to the fact that the issuing bank is located in a foreign country. (This charge is independent of any currency conversion.)

... See more
I looked into accepting cheques (checks) denominated in a foreign currency and issued by a foreign bank. My bank in Australia allows me to deposit such cheques into my account but there are two charges and there is a delay of about 20 days in processing the cheque.

1. There is a charge of about 5 Euros (in the case of my bank) due to the fact that the issuing bank is located in a foreign country. (This charge is independent of any currency conversion.)

2. There may be a charge or commission for converting the currency. (If you maintained a bank account in US dollars in your country then there would be no currency conversion charge at the time of depositing the cheque, but you\'d have to pay ccurrency conversion charges or commission if and when you decided to convert the currency. However, balance limits and charges may apply if you have a US dollar account in Germany.)

Paul.
Collapse

asknine
asknine
Russian to English
$40 per transaction is a real deal killer May 10, 2003

Only because of the Proz.com reluctance to implement a credit card payment option on the site...

Ralf Lemster
Ralf Lemster  Identity Verified
Germany
English to German
+ ...
There is a reason for that reluctance May 10, 2003

Quote:

On 2003-05-10 06:13, asknine wrote:

Only because of the Proz.com reluctance to implement a credit card payment option on the site...

I\'m not sure if you\'re aware of the fact that such an option existed, but was abused - see this thread for details.

Ralf

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

What\'s it all about payment from US by check?

Translation news

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »