Non-paying client due to Blue Board blocking
Thread poster: Helen Farrell

Helen Farrell  Identity Verified
Italy
Local time: 19:55
Italian to English
+ ...
May 16, 2008

I completed a small amount of work for an Italian agency in January and had not received payment by April. I contacted the company regarding payment and received no response from them whatsoever. I therefore added a comment to the Blue Board as regards the non-payment (there were already some previous comments concerning this). The company then e-mailed me and were basically obliging me to remove the entry or else I would not receive payment. From what I understand from the agency, their account has been blocked as a result of my comment. They have since given me a part payment and are refusing to pay me in full unless the comment is removed. Although I realise that it is causing the agency problems in not being able to advertise translation jobs on Proz, I think that other translators are entitled to know what to expect from this agency if they are accepting projects from them. On the other hand, it's highly unfair that I cannot receive full payment for the work I did. Any suggestions on how to resolve this situation would be gratefully received.

Direct link Reply with quote

Ralf Lemster  Identity Verified
Germany
English to German
+ ...
Contact a Jobs moderator... May 17, 2008

Hi Helen,
Sorry to hear about this problem.

First of all, you were absolutely right to post your comment.

Making payment contingent upon removing such a comment is not only without any legal substance, but also against ProZ.com site rules.

Please contact a Jobs/BB moderator with the details.

Best regards,
Ralf

Wolfgang Jörissen  Identity Verified
Belize
Dutch to German
+ ...
Blackmail May 17, 2008

Is is not only "without any legal substance", as Ralf says, it is a criminal offence and when nothing seems to work anymore, I would even consider pressing charges.

Jan Willem van Dormolen  Identity Verified
Netherlands
English to Dutch
+ ...
BlueBoard has got nothing to do with anything May 17, 2008

You are legally entitled to your money. So take any steps you would take if the BlueBoard was no issue. Threaten them with legal measures, tell them that they can't use your translation (and neither can their client) because ownership and authorship rights have not been transferred, threaten to contact the end client (and to tell THEM that they can't use the translation for the same reasons), etc.
And, if you change anything on the BlueBoard at all, make sure you make it even worse than it was.

Lutz Molderings  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2007)
German to English
+ ...
I would proceed differently May 17, 2008

Threaten them with legal measures, tell them that they can't use your translation (and neither can their client) because ownership and authorship rights have not been transferred, threaten to contact the end client (and to tell THEM that they can't use the translation for the same reasons), etc.

I wouldn't waste my time threatening them or informing them what you intend to do. The agency obviously has no intention to pay you.

Simply decide whether or not legal actions are worth the money involved in the whole matter. If yes, get a solicitor and let him/her deal with it.
If no, leave the BlueBoard entry and wait until the agency disappears from the scene.
It's plain stupidity to believe one can run a business in this way.

[Edited at 2008-05-17 09:52]

Charlie Bavington  Identity Verified
Local time: 18:55
French to English
Have i missed the obvious? May 17, 2008

Remove the entry.
Collect the money.
Post an entry (explaining what happened, if you must) once the money is definitely received. (Or perhaps get the site to post an explanation on your behalf)

All those suggesting pressing charges etc. (before the money is received) should perhaps be aware that, as has been discussed on here before (3 years ago?), Italian law is very unforgiving about negative statements in the public domain, even if they are entirely factual.
I don't remember the precise details, but I do remember drawing the conclusion "right, make sure you never say anything about an Italian company".
I daresay there are many others on here far more knowledgeable about the situation with Italian companies than I am, but generally, one should not assume that what applies in one's own country applies everywhere else.

Nesrin  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
English to Arabic
+ ...
Exactly May 17, 2008

Charlie Bavington wrote:

Remove the entry.
Collect the money.
Post an entry (explaining what happened, if you must) once the money is definitely received. (Or perhaps get the site to post an explanation on your behalf)

But I would DEFINITELY post an entry afterwards, not only repeating the previous comment, but also telling the story of how you were blackmailed - unless you have any kind of reprisal to fear, although I think once you have your money, there's not much they can do.

Helen Farrell  Identity Verified
Italy
Italian to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Removing comment May 18, 2008

First of all, thanks for all your responses.

As regards removing the comment, I have already been in contact with a moderator requesting that the comment be deleted in the meantime. (After receiving the outstanding payment, I would of course place the comment again, explaining the situation in greater depth.) As I understand, Proz decides whether to remove the comments or not, (and whether to unblock the user or not) and so it is out of my control. At this juncture, however, I am more concerned that the agency is not allowed to use the site again to post jobs rather than receiving the balance of the payment. (The remaining payment is minimal.)

Chris Carlisle  Identity Verified
Italian to English
+ ...
Jun 6, 2008

[Edited at 2008-06-06 14:26]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Non-paying client due to Blue Board blocking

Advanced search

Translation news

SDL Trados Studio 2017 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 250,000 translators.

SDL Trados Studio 2017 helps translators increase translation productivity whilst ensuring quality. Combining translation memory, terminology management and machine translation in one simple and easy-to-use environment.

More info »
PerfectIt consistency checker
Faster Checking, Greater Accuracy

PerfectIt helps deliver error-free documents. It improves consistency, ensures quality and helps to enforce style guides. It’s a powerful tool for pro users, and comes with the assurance of a 30-day money back guarantee.

More info »

All of ProZ.com
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs