Thread poster: Libero_Lang_Lab
Libero_Lang_Lab
Libero_Lang_Lab  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 05:03
Russian to English
+ ...
Apr 24, 2003

I know there have been threads already discussing book translations, rates etc. But I am specifically interested in hearing about experiences regarding translation of literary tomes as I\'m possibly about to embark on such a project. I fully expect the rate to be less than what I would normally charge for \"commercial\" jobs, and it is a job that I very much want to do, so am willing to be flexible - but at the same time I don\'t want to undersell myself. The book is a set of short stories - abo... See more
I know there have been threads already discussing book translations, rates etc. But I am specifically interested in hearing about experiences regarding translation of literary tomes as I\'m possibly about to embark on such a project. I fully expect the rate to be less than what I would normally charge for \"commercial\" jobs, and it is a job that I very much want to do, so am willing to be flexible - but at the same time I don\'t want to undersell myself. The book is a set of short stories - about 70,000 words. Anyone who has experience of such project and willing to share their expertise?

Dan
Collapse

Maureen Holm, J.D., LL.M.
United States
Local time: 00:03
German to English
+ ...
short story collection May 8, 2003

Quote:

On 2003-04-24 23:05, The Tautologist wrote:

I know there have been threads already discussing book translations, rates etc. But I am specifically interested in hearing about experiences regarding translation of literary tomes as I\'m possibly about to embark on such a project. I fully expect the rate to be less than what I would normally charge for \"commercial\" jobs, and it is a job that I very much want to do, so am willi... See more
Quote:

I know there have been threads already discussing book translations, rates etc. But I am specifically interested in hearing about experiences regarding translation of literary tomes as I\'m possibly about to embark on such a project. I fully expect the rate to be less than what I would normally charge for \"commercial\" jobs, and it is a job that I very much want to do, so am willing to be flexible - but at the same time I don\'t want to undersell myself. The book is a set of short stories - about 70,000 words. Anyone who has experience of such project and willing to share their expertise?

Dan

US $1500 is what Sebald\'s translator gets for a book. Ask for it.

Collapse

United States
Local time: 00:03
German to English
+ ...
commercial vs literary May 8, 2003

Quote:

I know there have been threads already discussing book translations, rates etc. But I am specifically interested in hearing about experiences regarding translation of literary tomes as I\'m possibly about to embark on such a project. I fully expect the rate to be less than what I would normally charge for \"commercial\" jobs, and it is a job that I very much want to do, so am willi... See more
Quote:

Dan

Dan,

Want to jump in again. With all due respect, literary (especially poetry) is a whole lot harder to do well than commercial. That, in my view (and experience), should be the starting point. It\'s easy enough to render a good writer dreadful: just look at Goethe.

I like to argue the story that Poe has a better reputation in France than he does in the U.S. because his translator was Baudelaire.

In short, you\'re not doing it *for* art, but rather, *as* art. Labors of love are for academics.

Maureen

Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

literary translation

Translation news

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »