Mobile menu

Fees & credit for book project through agency?
Thread poster: Alice Klingener

Alice Klingener  Identity Verified
Local time: 23:26
Swedish to English
+ ...
May 24, 2008

An agency that I work with has approached me about a book project. I'm wondering if there's a rule of thumb for per-word rates for business book projects, i.e. X percent of the going rate for smaller projects? I can't help wondering if I would lose money on this, i.e. by not being available for my usual projects.

Also, should I ask for a credit (i.e. my name somewhere) and some type of copyright, although I'm working through an agency? I'd certainly like to have my name on it, and to be able to say on my website that I worked on this particular book.

Any advice much appreciated.

Direct link Reply with quote

Sundar Gopalakrishnan
India
Local time: 09:56
English to Tamil
+ ...
Yeah May 24, 2008

Certainly, Alice!

Whether you are working through an agency or directly, you are entitled to credit, copyright and royalty. The publishers have to put your name on it.

Best Wishes!

[Edited at 2008-05-24 16:22]

Gad Kohenov  Identity Verified
Israel
Local time: 06:26
English to Hebrew
+ ...
Translation of books May 26, 2008

Dear Alice,

I worked as a freelancer for a publisher here in Israel. They paid a low rate and in the end in interfered so much with my other projects that I told them to look for their friends elsewhere (as we say in Hebrew). They must mention the name of the translator on one of the first pages of the book. They were also supposed to provide me with two copies of every book I translated. But in some cases they preferred selling those copies two instead of giving them to me!
The good thing with books is that you have only one customer to send "reminders" about payment to. And you have your work schedule prepared in advance for the duration of the translation of the book. I don't know how it is in other countries.
But if it is like it is here in Israel stay away of book translation. Nobody offered me any translation because I had translated a few dozens of books.
Did I mention late payment? They paid me only AFTER the sold the books. That is 3 months and upwards after I delivered the translation.

I hope this information will assist you in making up your mind.

Best regards

D.F.

Sundar Gopalakrishnan
India
Local time: 09:56
English to Tamil
+ ...
Got just 5 + 1 copies! May 27, 2008

desertfox wrote:

They were also supposed to provide me with two copies of every book I translated. But in some cases they preferred selling those copies two instead of giving them to me!

Did I mention late payment? They paid me only AFTER the sold the books. That is 3 months and upwards after I delivered the translation.

D.F.

Dear desertfox,

As a freelancer, I translated a book for a publisher. As for the payment, they gave me a lumpsum. Quick payment. Low rate, of course.

I got 6 copies from them (5 + 1; 1 for the translator, and the rest for his friends and wellwishers!). Later I came to know that they were supposed to give me 10 copies. Immediately I asked the the publisher to give me 5 more copies. But never got them.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Fees & credit for book project through agency?

Advanced search

Translation news

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use SDL Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

More info »

All of ProZ.com
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs