Thread poster: prashmathew
prashmathew
France
Local time: 06:48
French to English
+ ...
Jun 3, 2008

hi,
I'm considering a post in Abu Dhabi with an American / Canadian / UAE venture as a in house full time translator. Could someone please tell me what kind of a salary I can expect in the UAE for such a post.
thanks
Prahsant

Direct link Reply with quote

smarinella  Identity Verified
Italy
Member (2004)
German to Italian
+ ...
in your place... Jun 3, 2008

I would write to Prozians living in Abu Dhabi (maybe you find some colleagues looking in Directories EN>AR) and ask them directly. Maybe they have an idea what's the standard of living there and the average salary in companies.

I only know there are many, many Indians living in Arabian paeninsula and working in different fields.

Good luck!

Junior_bgw
Local time: 07:48
Arabic to English
+ ...
i think Jun 4, 2008

hi
i read your question and i thin its 5000$ ....i worked with american but in iraq i was getten 14000$ just but its full time .....its very exhausted job cause in my location was danger

good luck for you and fortunately for your job

prashmathew
France
French to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
thanks for the idea Jun 4, 2008

smarinella wrote:

I would write to Prozians living in Abu Dhabi (maybe you find some colleagues looking in Directories EN>AR) and ask them directly. Maybe they have an idea what's the standard of living there and the average salary in companies.

I only know there are many, many Indians living in Arabian paeninsula and working in different fields.

Good luck!

Thanks Smarinella, that's a good idea. I'll try that.

Joanna Wachowiak-Finlaison
Malaysia
Local time: 12:48
English to Polish
+ ...
Just a few points to consider Jun 4, 2008

The big problem you'll find in UAE (and I guess in most of the countries in the Middle East) is racism. Your salary and the benefits will be lower than a "white" person's holding the same position. Be aware of it when considering a position in AD.
Also, make sure that the company is providing you with accommodation/living allowance, car allowance, one free ticket back home annually and, obviously, health insurance - all standard in that region (make sure you get the "expat" status). Research the cost of accommodation - prices soared in the last few years and you don't want to spend all your money on housing.
Another thing - when signing a contract, take an arabic speaker with you - the English version might not be exactly the same and according to the UAE law only what's in the arabic contract is valid.
That's just a few points off the top of my head, I lived in Dubai for 6 years, let me know I can give you any more info.
Good luck.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Salary for translator in the UAE

Advanced search

Across v6.3
Translation Toolkit and Sales Potential under One Roof

Apart from features that enable you to translate more efficiently, the new Across Translator Edition v6.3 comprises your crossMarket membership. The new online network for Across users assists you in exploring new sales potential and generating revenue.

More info »
LSP.expert
You’re a freelance translator? LSP.expert helps you manage your daily translation jobs. It’s easy, fast and secure.

How about you start tracking translation jobs and sending invoices in minutes? You can also manage your clients and generate reports about your business activities. So you always keep a clear view on your planning, AND you get a free 30 day trial period!

More info »

All of ProZ.com
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs