Mobile menu

Help! How to charge for transcription and translation?
Thread poster: lcmolinari

lcmolinari  Identity Verified
Local time: 01:05
French to English
+ ...
May 5, 2003

My question has a few parts.

First off, can someone give me an approximate range of how many hours it takes to simply transcribe 1 hour of audio tape? Let\'s assume the quality is good.

Second part is, what is a common practice for charging a job that requires transcription and translation? Do you charge an hourly rate for transcription, then charge your regular per word fee to translate the resulting transcript? Or is it more common practice to charge a higher hourly rate to do it all? In that case, any idea of a range of hours to transcribe AND translate 1 hour of tape? How about an hourly rate range to do that (for North America)?

I realize the possible range of hours can be huge based on audio quality, type of translation, etc. but there must be some sort of guideline, which I heard once many years ago and have forgotten.

I need to give a client a quote and a timeline, so I do need something to go on!

Thanks in advance for all your help.

Direct link Reply with quote
Cidália Martins
+ ...
transcriptionist usually charge per line or per page... May 20, 2003

...I can\'t comment on specific amounts but those who specialize in freelance transcription (medical transcriptionists, legal, business, etc.) usually charge per line and, in some cases, per page and rarely an hourly rate. I know this because I recently looked into taking up studies in medical transcription.

Direct link Reply with quote

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Help! How to charge for transcription and translation?

Advanced search

Translation news PDF Translation
Fast and Reliable PDF Translation - reduce your workload while maintaining quality

Unlock the potential of PDFs, taking your original PDF, replacing the text with your translations from your preferred tools and in minutes, get a high quality, ready-to-use, translated PDF. Try it now - your first 50 pages are free.

More info »
Wake up in the Morning and see that you have sold TMs and made Money overnight

The TM Market Place for Translators
New: Our Instant TM Download
TM owners: Upload your TMs into the online database
Customers: Analyse your text & instantly download a text-specific TM
Well over 1.2 BILLION translation units

More info »

All of
  • All of
  • Term search
  • Jobs