Mobile menu

Special rules governing the estimate of a BOOK?
Thread poster: Nadia Said

Nadia Said
Local time: 04:45
German to Arabic
+ ...
May 5, 2003

Hello everybody!

I have a book of about 400 pages and need to make an estimate of this translation. This book contains 9 chapters and the subject is martial arts. When I used the word count option in one chapter, I found out that the charge of 1 chapter only will cost 2800.00 EURO @ 0.03EURO per source word, meaning that translating the whole book will cost nearly 20.000EURO!!!

My question is: Are there any special rules governing the estimate of a BOOK and its word count? And is the above mentioned amount realistic? What is the average amount of translating a book of 400 pages?

Your help is really appreciated.

Kind regards,

Nadia Said

Direct link Reply with quote

Kevin Fulton
United States
Local time: 22:45
German to English
Rates for books May 6, 2003

Rates for book-length translations tend to be somewhat lower than those received for shorter documents, unless there is some urgent reason the book must be translated ASAP. I should tell you that .03 EUR/word for a book-length manuscript is not a high rate by American or Western European standards, especially if the translated book is to be sold commercially.

Kevin

xxxMarc P  Identity Verified
Local time: 04:45
German to English
+ ...
What's the problem? May 6, 2003

Quote:

I found out that the charge of 1 chapter only will cost 2800.00 EURO @ 0.03EURO per source word, meaning that translating the whole book will cost nearly 20.000EURO!!!

Are you working for a living, or for pocket money? If you are working for a living, what\'s the problem?

Marc

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Special rules governing the estimate of a BOOK?

Advanced search

Translation news

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use SDL Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

More info »
SDL MultiTerm 2017
Guarantee a unified, consistent and high-quality translation with terminology software by the industry leaders.

SDL MultiTerm 2017 allows translators to create one central location to store and manage multilingual terminology, and with SDL MultiTerm Extract 2017 you can automatically create term lists from your existing documentation to save time.

More info »

All of ProZ.com
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs