Advice wanted on debt collection in Spain
Thread poster: Joan Berglund

Joan Berglund  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 19:52
Member (2008)
French to English
Jun 10, 2008

An agency in Spain just bounced a check with me. I would appreciate hearing any advice or experiences of people who have collected debts there. In the meantime, googling brought up this article, which cheered me up a little.
http://www.cfo-news.com/ESPANA-|-Spain-s-Fake-Monks-Make-a-Habit-of-Dunning-Debtors-Dated-14-Mar-2006-_a353.html
Too bad it's out of date, I hope they haven't given up these practices.

Direct link Reply with quote

Miguel Garcia Lopez  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 00:52
Member (2008)
English to French
+ ...
Advice wanted on debt collection in Spain Jun 11, 2008

Dear Joan,

If the amount is big, and the debtor is located in a big city (Madrid, Barcelona, etc...), you will find a lot of collecting agencies ("agencias de cobro de morosos") visiting Google.com.
It usually work to threat them to pay you in 10 days, before having to leave the invoices to such agencies.

Miguel.

Elena Robles Sanjuan  Identity Verified
English to Spanish
Blue board Jun 11, 2008

Joan, if they are in the Blue Board, threaten them with making an entry with the information related to the unpaid cheque.

It worked for me !

Good luck

Ralf Lemster  Identity Verified
Germany
English to German
+ ...
Post a Blue Board entry (plus a new record, if necessary) - don't use the BB as a threat, please Jun 11, 2008

Fully agree - do post on the Blue Board (assuming that you fulfil the conditions set out in BB rule no. 2. Still, the BB should not be used as a threat (see BB rule no. 9) - do make your point and assert your stance, though.

Best regards,
Ralf

United States
Member (2008)
French to English
TOPIC STARTER
thanks Jun 11, 2008

I sent an email mentioning collection and a Blue Board complaint last night. I didn't get the notice of the returned check until after the close of business in Europe. They emailed today promising to do a wire transfer, but they keep seeming to need one more thing to do it. I'll see how it goes. They are on the Blue Board. At the time I did the job they had a few old slow pay complaints but no no pays, and recent reviews were good. I checked back yesterday and they have a few new slow pays, still no no pays. I think they are more undercapitalized than actively evil and dishonest, but I still need to get paid.

Elena Robles Sanjuan  Identity Verified
English to Spanish
Rules of the BB Jun 11, 2008

Ralf Lemster wrote:

Fully agree - do post on the Blue Board (assuming that you fulfil the conditions set out in BB rule no. 2. Still, the BB should not be used as a threat (see BB rule no. 9) - do make your point and assert your stance, though.

Best regards,
Ralf

Sorry, I meant "threaten them that you´re going to make an entry in the BB" via e-mail.

United States
Member (2008)
French to English
TOPIC STARTER
yes, that's what I thought you meant Jun 11, 2008

Elena Robles Sanjuan wrote:

Ralf Lemster wrote:

Best regards,
Ralf

Sorry, I meant "threaten them that you´re going to make an entry in the BB" via e-mail.

Yes, that's the way I understood it Elena. I was not going to use the BB to threaten them with angry monks or men in plaid skirts (see my article link above)

adarve01
Spanish to English
Advice wanted on debt collection in Spain Jun 12, 2008

You can find many information about debt collection in Spain in the following web page:
www.spain-debt-collection.com

More information about collectors iand lawyers n Spain in www.acainternational.org. ACA International is the association of professional businesses and individuals involved in the credit and collection industry.

More information about the spanish legal system in:
www.mjusticia.es/Directorio/JuzgadosTribunales?menu_activo=1057821035144&lang=es_es

United States
Member (2008)
French to English
TOPIC STARTER
thanks, those links look useful Jun 12, 2008

When last heard from, they were promising to make a wire transfer "shortly". That was two days ago. I think their idea of shortly may differ from mine. I suppose I should put a time limit before I put it in collection - maybe the end of nex week? does that sound reasonable? I really want to say tomorrow - or yesterday - but I want to be realistic.

Tomás Cano Binder, CT  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2005)
English to Spanish
+ ...
What happened, and who are they? Jun 26, 2008

Joan, can you update us all on what happened in the end? Did they pay? And if they did not, who are they so that we don't fall in the trap? Thanks!

United States
Member (2008)
French to English
TOPIC STARTER
they did finally pay Jun 26, 2008

Tomás Cano Binder wrote:

Joan, can you update us all on what happened in the end? Did they pay? And if they did not, who are they so that we don't fall in the trap? Thanks!

They did make good just a couple days ago. And then they sent me another job! I was a little taken aback - needless to say I didn't accept. I am not sure what to put on the board since they paid. I don't want to be too negative, but I don't recommend doing business with them. At the moment I am taking our mothers' advice on what to say when you haven't got anything nice to say, but that is probably a cop out. Any advice?

Germany
English to German
+ ...
No discussion of specific outsourcers in the forum, please Jun 26, 2008

Tomás,
And if they did not, who are they so that we don't fall in the trap? Thanks!

That's what the Blue Board is for - thanks for observing forum rule no. 8 .

Best regards,
Ralf

Germany
English to German
+ ...
Express your LWA Jun 26, 2008

Hi Joan,

They did make good just a couple days ago. And then they sent me another job! I was a little taken aback - needless to say I didn't accept. I am not sure what to put on the board since they paid. I don't want to be too negative, but I don't recommend doing business with them.

So your likelihood of working again for them is low - and that's what you should show in the Blue Board.

Best, Ralf

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Advice wanted on debt collection in Spain

Advanced search

Translation news

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
WordFinder
The words you want Anywhere, Anytime

WordFinder is the market's fastest and easiest way of finding the right word, term, translation or synonym in one or more dictionaries. In our assortment you can choose among more than 120 dictionaries in 15 languages from leading publishers.

More info »

All of ProZ.com
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs