Mobile menu

How much each for translator and proofreader?
Thread poster: Katy62

Katy62
Local time: 11:20
English to German
+ ...
May 11, 2003

There is a larger text of approx. 23,000 words to be translated and proofread. The company will pay 0.10 EUR per word (tranlation AND proofreading). How much of that 0.10 EUR should the translator receive (English to German translation) and how much the proofreader? We are talking about a long Powerpoint document and a word file.

I would only like your opinion as to who should get what amount of the rate. It is a fairly simple document.

Thanks for your input.

Direct link Reply with quote

Narasimhan Raghavan  Identity Verified
Local time: 14:50
English to Tamil
+ ...
What's your role in this? May 31, 2003

If you are the translator, you just demand your rate. Why should you bother what the proofreader gets? It is the client's headache. Or are you undertaking to do both the works? If you do the translation and have it proof-read, the rate for the same is between you and the proof reader. A little confusing? It will be, given the fact that the background has not been stated clearly. If I were you, I will quote for the translation only and if I want 0.10 Euro per word, I will demand it. Never allow the client to burden with more work that is not strictly yours. Similarly, if you are the proofreader, demand your rate and don't bother about the other rate.

Suzanne Blangsted  Identity Verified
Local time: 02:20
Danish to English
+ ...
translation and proofing prices May 31, 2003

It would seem to me if you outsource the proofing to another person, what you pay the other person should be negotiated between you two.

If you know that the person will be doing an outstanding detailed proofing job, I suggest 30% for proofing (only). If you don't know the proofer I suggest starting out with 20% but being flexible. In both cases a bit more if deadline is imminent.

And I suggest you check the proofers work to be sure you agree with any possible correction; after all it is your name that is associated with that project.

Katy62
Local time: 11:20
English to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
How much each May 31, 2003

[quote]BLANGSTED wrote:

It would seem to me if you outsource the proofing to another person, what you pay the other person should be negotiated between you two.

If you know that the person will be doing an outstanding detailed proofing job, I suggest 30% for proofing (only). If you don't know the proofer I suggest starting out with 20% but being flexible. In both cases a bit more if deadline is imminent.

And I suggest you check the proofers work to be sure you agree with any possible correction; after all it is your name that is associated with that project.

Thanks - that makes sense.

Dyran Altenburg  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 05:20
English to Spanish
+ ...
3/4Translation, 1/4 Revision Jun 1, 2003

This is what agencies usually pay me for projects:

Translation = US$0.12/word
Revision = US$0.04/word

In your case, US$0.075 and US$0.025 respectively.

Kind of on the low side for your language pairs.

[Edited at 2003-06-01 02:29]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

How much each for translator and proofreader?

Advanced search

Translation news

SDL Trados Studio 2017 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 250,000 translators.

SDL Trados Studio 2017 helps translators increase translation productivity whilst ensuring quality. Combining translation memory, terminology management and machine translation in one simple and easy-to-use environment.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »

All of ProZ.com
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs