Thread poster: Borja Rosales Ingelmo

Borja Rosales Ingelmo
Spain
Local time: 02:18
English to Spanish
+ ...
Jul 1, 2008

Dear everybody,

a Madrid-based agency just contacted me asking about two different kind of rates: one for documentation and another one for software. Should my rates be the samefor both kinds of translation?

Thanks very much!

Borja Rosales
borjarosales@telefonica.net

[Subject edited by staff or moderator 2008-07-01 14:53]

Direct link Reply with quote

Daniel Šebesta  Identity Verified
Czech Republic
Member (2007)
English to Czech
+ ...
It depends Jul 1, 2008

For example, I have a client producing coffee machines. The device has a display with a limited number of characters which is not able to display special characters in my language. This makes the translation of those software texts extremely difficult (lots of abbreviations, no Czech special characters, but still the target text must be more or less comprehensible even without the documentation; the source text is also accompanied by lots of explanations and I have to ask follow-up questions to get it right). For such cases, I use a surcharge of about 20%.

I charge standard computer-software translations at the same rate as documentation.

Hynek Palatin  Identity Verified
Czech Republic
English to Czech
+ ...
Software rate should be higher Jul 1, 2008

Translating software usually takes longer than documentation and your rates should reflect that.

ViktoriaG  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 20:18
English to French
+ ...
What exatly do they mean by 'software translation'? Jul 1, 2008

I think that, for starters, you need to make sure you know what they are asking for when they are asking for software translation. Is it an interface they want translated? What file formats would you be working with? What software is required to get the job done?

In general, when translating user interfaces, you work much slower than when you translate documentation. This is because you are not really translating text - you are translating strings, often without context. If they provide you with screen captures and explanations of interface elements, you will have an easier time translating the UI, but it will take time to search through their explanations, the screen captures, and to send them lists of questions to make sure you understand what such and such button or checkbox does so you can translate them properly.

All of the above tasks are time-consuming. I would charge double my translation rate for those. If not, I would charge my hourly translation rate, which in my opinion is the fairest way to charge for this type of work. The question is whether this really is the task they would like you to perform. Check with them - better safe than sorry.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Rates for translating documentation and software

Advanced search

Translation news

LSP.expert
You’re a freelance translator? LSP.expert helps you manage your daily translation jobs. It’s easy, fast and secure.

How about you start tracking translation jobs and sending invoices in minutes? You can also manage your clients and generate reports about your business activities. So you always keep a clear view on your planning, AND you get a free 30 day trial period!

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »

All of ProZ.com
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs