What should I charge to orally translate a document?
Thread poster: amorais
amorais
amorais
English to Portuguese
+ ...
May 13, 2003

I found a small freelancing job and I was wondering how unusual it is and what I should charge for it. The woman wants me to meet her and orally translate 18 pages of documents from the 1700\'s from Portuguese into English. They\'re handwritten, but quite legible according to her. I\'ve translated before but as part of a full time job. How much should I charge for this? By the hour, by the page? Any and all help is deeply appreciated. Thanks.

Kevin Fulton
Kevin Fulton  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 22:49
German to English
Charge by the hour May 13, 2003

You should have a copy of the document in advance to make sure you can read everything. Make sure you establish the fee in advance, and provide an estimate of how long it will take (another reason to have a copy in advance: it may take longer than you think!). If the client wants any part of the document translated into written form, make sure she knows that she will have to pay for that separately.

Kevin

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

What should I charge to orally translate a document?

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »