Mobile menu

How to charge a japanese translation by the character count
Thread poster: fifilalou

fifilalou  Identity Verified
Local time: 17:21
English to Japanese
+ ...
Jul 15, 2008

I understand that it's usually by the count of source Japanese characters when it's a Japanese to into another language translation. But it seems obscure to me--Does anyone know a good way to get the character count on a Japanese document other than manually counting them? Wordfast does not seem to work with Japanese in this regard. (It shows "0" where it says word count. Nothing shows of "character count".) The word count function of Word seems available but looks really obscure and I cannot really trust it. Thank you.

Direct link Reply with quote

xxxPeter Manda
Local time: 20:21
German to English
+ ...
word is quite precise for English Jul 15, 2008

Word's character count is actually quite precise for English.

If you take the character count in word and halve that you get a very good estimate of what the final target words will be in English.

English to Japanese
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Which figure do you use? Jul 15, 2008

I think you are right that it comes to more or less half. But you don't charge them by the estimated target word count, do you? Or do you actually give the client the character count what WORD tells you? Thank you.

AniseK  Identity Verified
Malaysia
Local time: 08:21
Japanese to English
+ ...
Just use what WORD gave you Jul 15, 2008

fifilalou wrote:

I think you are right that it comes to more or less half. But you don't charge them by the estimated target word count, do you? Or do you actually give the client the character count what WORD tells you? Thank you.

Hi,

I just used whatever word count Microsoft Word gave me.

Hana Japan
Japan
Local time: 09:21
English to Japanese
+ ...
Word count Jul 15, 2008

I'm not sure about Wordfirst but Japanese word count on Word is fine I think. I understand that you have a doubt sometimes though.

When I occasionally had a Japanese into English translation offer from a non-Japanese client,I charge them the word count of the target language - English. It's clear for both sides(Client and myself),and can actually avoid charging wrongly and time loss for calculation which is often confusing.

*When the client is Japanese,may be a different story
as they already have their rate per Japanese character instead of per English word.

Good luck:)

English to Japanese
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Interesting options... Jul 15, 2008

Interesting...it seems there are a couple of options. What Hana says makes sense, though, that the English word count in the result product may be used with non-Japanese clients in order to make it simple, but not with Japanese clients since they are supposed to be more aware of the obscurity of word division in Japanese and would definitely go by the character count.

I would still love to hear more opinions and views on this. Thank you every one!!

Katalin Horváth McClure  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 20:21
Member (2002)
English to Hungarian
+ ...
I don't get the problem... MS Word gives a good count Jul 15, 2008

I regularly translate from Japanese. When the source file is editable (that is, not a scanned PDF) I charge by the source character count and this is what my clients work with, too.
MS Word gives you the character count. In the Word count window, please look for "Characters". You should see two lines, one says "no spaces" and one "with spaces".
I usually use the character count without spaces.

The only thing you may want to be careful about is that older versions of MS Word did not count text in textboxes, and footers and headers. In Word 2007 there is a checkbox at the bottom of the wordcount window for that - keep it checked.

One more thing is that if you have graphics included in the file, where the text is embedded, non-editable (such as scanned graphs, screenshots or other image/type files), then neither Word, nor other tools would be able to count it automatically. You would need to count by hand, or (and this is what I do) charge for working with the images separately, by the hour.

English to Japanese
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
I will go with your suggestion. Jul 15, 2008

Thank you. I guess that's the point I needed clarification most- since WORD's Word Count tool comes with all other "counts" as well as character counts, which makes it all so confusing, and I was wondering about between "with spaces"and without, too. Now I think I know what to do--I'll use the "character count without space" as you suggested. Thank you again.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

How to charge a japanese translation by the character count

Advanced search

Translation news

PDF Translation - the Easy Way
TransPDF converts your PDFs to XLIFF ready for professional translation.

TransPDF converts your PDFs to XLIFF ready for professional translation. It also puts your translations back into the PDF to make new PDFs. Quicker and more accurate than hand-editing PDF. Includes free use of Infix PDF Editor with your translated PDFs.

More info »
memoQ translator pro
Kilgray's memoQ is the world's fastest developing integrated localization & translation environment rendering you more productive and efficient.

With our advanced file filters, unlimited language and advanced file support, memoQ translator pro has been designed for translators and reviewers who work on their own, with other translators or in team-based translation projects.

More info »

All of ProZ.com
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs