Thread poster: sousou
sousou
Algeria
Local time: 02:56
English to French
+ ...
Jul 24, 2008

Hi Everybody,

Can anybody advise me about the Translation Rates per word (From English to French & Vice-Versa), and how many words does a Page include.

Your help would be greatly appreciated.

Kindest Regds,

Sousou

Direct link Reply with quote

Jason Young  Identity Verified
China
Local time: 09:56
Member (2008)
English to Chinese
+ ...
depends Aug 1, 2008

can be anything between US$0.0X and US$0.2X per word.

Nicole Schnell  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 18:56
English to German
+ ...
After 14 years of translation Aug 2, 2008

according to your profile page...your are posting this question?

Hm.

sousou
Algeria
English to French
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
The Right To Ask Aug 2, 2008

Dear Nicole,

As you read on my Resume, i have been working in Oilfield Companies as a Translator, and not as a Freelance Translator. Furthermore, there's no shame to ask, that's why Proz. com has been created.

Your sarcastic answer is not really appreciated.

Regds,

United States
English to German
+ ...
Dear sousou Aug 2, 2008

I did not read your resume. If we were supposed to do such homework, it should have been mentioned in your original posting. We are no mind readers.

Has nothing to do with sarcasm.

Jenny Forbes  Identity Verified
Member (2006)
French to English
+ ...
Contact me privately Aug 2, 2008

Dear Sousou,
If you'd like to contact me privately I'll tell you my rates for translating from French and Spanish to English, which amazingly enough seem to be the rate Samuel Murray's calculations eventually led to in his thread here about the way freelancers should calculate a living wage. I'm so relieved ...
Kind regards,
Jenny.
P.S. As to how many words there are to a page, well, how long is a piece of string?? Depends on font size, density of text, etc. etc.

[Edited at 2008-08-02 07:49]

sousou
Algeria
English to French
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Be Selective in Choosing the Right Academic Words Aug 2, 2008

Dear Nicole,

As Linguists, one has to be careful & cautious in choosing the accurate words and punctuation to pass on an advice or a message esp. in this Website.

United States
English to German
+ ...
Exactly, sousou Aug 2, 2008

Linguists should be able to get their message across at the first try without any crystal ball involved.

Greetings,

Nicole

[Edited at 2008-08-02 08:41]

KSL Berlin  Identity Verified
Portugal
Member (2003)
German to English
+ ...
Information on the site Aug 2, 2008

There is average rate information available on this site for your pairs. You might want to look at it. However, even as a former staff translator, you ought to be able to figure out the minimum you should charge based on what you know your output to be and how much money you want to have left after taxes, etc. The ProZ rate calculator is a primitive tool to help you in this regard, but it's a good place to start.

As for "words per page" or "characters per page" there is no real standard.

If Nicole's answer seems a bit curt, it is certainly understandable. Whether one has 20 yeras of experience in the field or is a beginner, it really isn't that hard to locate information on pricing and other basic issues here. Yet almost every day someone posts a silly question like "how much should I charge for 2000 words of German to English translation?". Research is one of those skills that any successful translator must apply, and these answers really don't require much of it.

Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Local time: 03:56
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
Two answers Aug 2, 2008

sousou wrote:
Can anybody advise me about the Translation Rates per word (From English to French & Vice-Versa)...

No I can't, but I think you should charge European rates. Some non-Africans will no doubt come along and say "he's just a local translator, let's give him peanuts". Have you joined any French language and translation associations yet?

...and how many words does a Page include.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Translation Rates

Advanced search

Translation news

SDL Trados Studio 2017 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 250,000 translators.

SDL Trados Studio 2017 helps translators increase translation productivity whilst ensuring quality. Combining translation memory, terminology management and machine translation in one simple and easy-to-use environment.

More info »
SDL MultiTerm 2017
Guarantee a unified, consistent and high-quality translation with terminology software by the industry leaders.

SDL MultiTerm 2017 allows translators to create one central location to store and manage multilingual terminology, and with SDL MultiTerm Extract 2017 you can automatically create term lists from your existing documentation to save time.

More info »

All of ProZ.com
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs