Could it be a trick of the agency? (Concerned about non-payment issues affecting a customer)
Thread poster: wonita (X)
wonita (X)
wonita (X)
China
Local time: 13:16
Jul 31, 2008

Hi everyone:

Recently I finished a small translation job for an agency. Everything was fine, reasonable rate and prompt payment.

However, the last 2 entries of their blueboard are negative. Colleagues had to use debt-collecting agencies to get paid. I contacted the colleagues personally, they told me their first invoices were also paid promptly, then it got worse and worse...

Since the agency is willing to have a long-term collaboration with me, I am not c
... See more
Hi everyone:

Recently I finished a small translation job for an agency. Everything was fine, reasonable rate and prompt payment.

However, the last 2 entries of their blueboard are negative. Colleagues had to use debt-collecting agencies to get paid. I contacted the colleagues personally, they told me their first invoices were also paid promptly, then it got worse and worse...

Since the agency is willing to have a long-term collaboration with me, I am not certain if I should take new orders from them. Am I overcautious? I do assume many colleagues with good experiences with the agency did not even bother making an entry.

Thank you for reading and sharing your experience.

Bin

[Edited at 2008-07-31 10:44]

[Subject edited by staff or moderator 2008-07-31 12:43]
Collapse

Ivana Friis Søndergaard
Ivana Friis Søndergaard
United Kingdom
Local time: 18:16
Member (2008)
English to Danish
+ ...
Confront them Jul 31, 2008

If you are worried, ask them about the BB entries - it's not like they don't know.

If you do a large job, ask for part payment up front. Admittedly, that will probably mean they will find some one else for the job

savaria (X)
savaria (X)
Hungary
Local time: 19:16
English to Hungarian
+ ...
Which agency? Jul 31, 2008

Bin Tiede wrote:

Hi everyone:

Since the agency is willing to have a long-term collaboration with me, I am not certain if I should take new orders from them. Am I overcautious? I do assume many colleagues with good experiences with the agency did not even bother making an entry.

Thank you for reading and sharing your experience.

Bin

[Edited at 2008-07-31 10:44]

In my opinion,it is extremely difficult to say anything without being aware of which particular agency you are speaking about.

John Cutler
John Cutler  Identity Verified
Spain
Spanish to English
+ ...
The way I see it... Jul 31, 2008

Why not be sincere and write them a polite email expressing your concern? I'm sure they have their own side of the story. If nothing else, you'll be able to get further information that may help you decide what to do. Their response to you (or lack thereof) will give you more to go on.

I'm not referring to you now Bin, just ranting a little...

I really don't understand why agencies are always made out to be the bad guys in these forums. I really don't like dealing with
... See more
Why not be sincere and write them a polite email expressing your concern? I'm sure they have their own side of the story. If nothing else, you'll be able to get further information that may help you decide what to do. Their response to you (or lack thereof) will give you more to go on.

I'm not referring to you now Bin, just ranting a little...

I really don't understand why agencies are always made out to be the bad guys in these forums. I really don't like dealing with agencies (I prefer to keep all the money I work for, for me) but in my +ten years experience, I've yet to have one not pay me.

My personal experience is that agencies that act professionally from the start generally are professional in their later business practices (i.e., paying on time). If I enter into a professional relationship with an agency it's only after negotiating in good faith all the details involved.

Instead of moaning about the big bad agencies, translators need to come down off their cloud-nine/flower-power/kumbayah set of business practices and only enter into professional business relationships that are mutually beneficial to them and the agency. If a translator isn't happy with an agency, he or she is free to drop them and find something else to do instead of complaining about the agency.

[Editado a las 2008-07-31 11:40]
Collapse

Deborah do Carmo
Deborah do Carmo  Identity Verified
Portugal
Local time: 18:16
Dutch to English
+ ...
Two options Jul 31, 2008

(1) Make a call for new entries, if possible - haven't got the time to look up how it's done but the option is available via the site

(2) Tactfully approach them yourself, as suggested

Also without reference to you Bin, I love the 'kumbayah' idea John

[Edited at 2008-07-31 11:52]

Ralf Lemster
Ralf Lemster  Identity Verified
Germany
English to German
+ ...
Right - ask them Jul 31, 2008

Hi Bin,
I fully agree with the point that was made by several participants: ask them if there is a problem - best, get on the phone and speak to your contact. The immediate reaction to a question put forward over the phone may tell you more than an e-mail.

...and regarding Gábor's request:
Gábor Széles wrote:
In my opinion,it is extremely difficult to say anything without being aware of which particular agency you are speaking about.

May I draw your attention to forum rule no. 8?

Best regards,
Ralf

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Could it be a trick of the agency? (Concerned about non-payment issues affecting a customer)

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »