Mobile menu

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >
Do you know any translation agencies that work for free?
Thread poster: xxxsavaria
xxxsavaria
Hungary
Local time: 12:00
English to Hungarian
+ ...
Jul 31, 2008

The question in the title of my post is both weird and ridiculous at the same time,and I know that,but:

A half year ago a very famous Hungarian showman gave me a ring and told me the following:
If I am willing to do a test translation of 40.000 words(yes,fourty thousand words) for free,then he will assign me a huge translation of about 1.000.000 words long - for payment.

I have translated about 4.000 words(in a day's time,or so) and then gave a ring to this showman,saying that I am ready with what I have thought to do for free,and furthermore I have also emphasized that nobody works for free in Hungary,and saying that no businessman in the whole world would take such an offer seriously.

Half a year later,he sent me an email,saying that he solved the case in a professional way,and that he found an agency(he also named which one) which accepted to get the whole 1.000.000 words translation for free.

Can anybody imagine that even a word of what he actually said was true?

[Módosítva: 2008-07-31 11:40]

Direct link Reply with quote

xxxsavaria
Hungary
English to Hungarian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Hm? Jul 31, 2008

I mean which agency can afford itself to work for free?This ,looks absolutely incredible for me...

Vito Smolej
Germany
Member (2004)
English to Slovenian
+ ...
I would love to have this gentleman as an agent Jul 31, 2008

for free of course.

Αlban SHPΑTΑ  Identity Verified
Albania
Partial member (2008)
English to Albanian
+ ...
What kind of a showman was he? Jul 31, 2008

A showman... he gave you a ring (?)... did he also wear a high hat, a black cloak and held a black cane in his hand? I know what kind of a showman he was and that's how he managed to mass hypnotize them into accepting to work for free.

[Edited at 2008-07-31 14:14]

SilviuM
Romania
Local time: 13:00
Romanian to English
+ ...
John Lennon HADN'T died! Jul 31, 2008

Yes, I COULD! if I were a John Lennon-type of person...

LegalTransform  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 06:00
Member (2002)
Spanish to English
+ ...
Possible Jul 31, 2008

Unfortunately, there are companies who try to get work done for free by passing it through one of the many websites that solicit translators to provide free translations for charitable organizations. I signed up for one of these sites and I am literally offered millions of words a day to translate for free. In theory, companies can accept a job, place it on the charity website, get it done for free (quality?), return it to the client and collect their payment.

[Edited at 2008-07-31 13:18]

Madeleine MacRae Klintebo  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 11:00
Swedish to English
+ ...
To bad I've already booked my summer holiday to another country Jul 31, 2008

Because I really, really want to visit Hungary.

Dog payments, million word free translations and magical (?) rings...

And here in the UK it's just raining (not cats and dogs though)...

xxxPeter Manda
German to English
+ ...
working for "free" Jul 31, 2008

some translation agencies provide their clients with free "charitable" work where the projects are "pro bono" related (like asylum, etc.). but there is a quid-pro-quo element - that the client will provide steady regular work which would justify the cut in revenue.

i've worked for free for friends, of course; and I've submitted work without requesting payment where I've missed a deadline or made a major mess-up. but i wouldn't accept free work as a general matter; indeed, i've learned the lesson that even sample translations are a waste of time because (as to me) my experience has been that sample translations are given by agencies who have had a client recommend me but where the agency really doesn't want to use me. so they get a sample translation, find all the most picayune mistakes and say "oh, he's not comptent" ... but that's another topic ..., he rambled.

texjax DDS PhD  Identity Verified
Member (2006)
English to Italian
+ ...
Let's pack! Jul 31, 2008

Madeleine MacRae Klintebo wrote:

Because I really, really want to visit Hungary.

Dog payments, million word free translations and magical (?) rings...

And here in the UK it's just raining (not cats and dogs though)...

What a great idea Madeleine!
My son wants a dog to play with, I like jewelry, and it's raining here too...
Maybe we can book a charter flightZ

xxxsavaria
Hungary
English to Hungarian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
I would be very very happy Jul 31, 2008

I would be happy to host all of you.I would klike to organise a powwow anyway,it's only that I officially cannot organise it,as my ID has not been verified by anybody yet,and I am not willing to pay for anything like that...and organising a powwow can only be done officially if your ID is verified.

Henry Hinds  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 04:00
English to Spanish
+ ...
Only Jul 31, 2008

Only if that ring had a hell of a big diamond in it, worth at least 100 grand or more!

I like your airline, Texjax!

Harry Bornemann  Identity Verified
Mexico
English to German
+ ...
no problem Jul 31, 2008

Gábor Széles wrote:
If I am willing to do a test translation of 40.000 words(yes,fourty thousand words) for free, then he will assign me a huge translation of about 1.000.000 words long - for payment.
I would propose to meet him at a notary (whom he may select and pay) to make this contract safe, and he would also have to provide something like a bank guarantee.
To compensate for the free 40 K test translation, I would simply adjust my rate for the 1 M words accordingly.
Can anybody imagine that even a word of what he actually said was true?
Unfortunately: no, I am afraid any sober approach would scare him away.

[Edited at 2008-07-31 14:58]

Gisela Greenlee  Identity Verified
Local time: 05:00
German to English
+ ...
Ring Jul 31, 2008

Just a guess, but I think that this person called him (ring-a-ding-ding, the phone is ringing). I don't know why anybody would consider translating anything beyond a few hundred words without payment.
Hey, plumber (painter, carpenter, worker of your choice to be inserted here), fix one faucet for me for free, and I'll hook you up (no pun intended) with 100 faucets to be fixed for pay!
I think I'll try that the next time I need something repaired around the house.

Madeleine MacRae Klintebo  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 11:00
Swedish to English
+ ...
Would he settle for a guinea pig? Jul 31, 2008

texjax DDS PhD wrote:
My son wants a dog to play with

I've got one in desperate need of a new home and some attention. If you twist my arm, I might even throw in a 2,000 word translation...

texjax DDS PhD  Identity Verified
Member (2006)
English to Italian
+ ...
By the way... Jul 31, 2008

Did the very famous Hungarian showman resemble any of them?

[Edited at 2008-07-31 20:03]

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Do you know any translation agencies that work for free?

Advanced search

Translation news

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use SDL Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

More info »
memoQ translator pro
Kilgray's memoQ is the world's fastest developing integrated localization & translation environment rendering you more productive and efficient.

With our advanced file filters, unlimited language and advanced file support, memoQ translator pro has been designed for translators and reviewers who work on their own, with other translators or in team-based translation projects.

More info »

All of ProZ.com
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs