Warning: Paypal credit card scam alert (fake emails asking for CC details)
Thread poster: awilliams
awilliams
awilliams
United Kingdom
Local time: 18:50
Italian to English
+ ...
May 21, 2003

Hi there,

This morning I found a very convincing e-mail supposedly from Paypal in my Inbox - subject \"Dear Paypal Customer\".

The e-mail looks fairly convincing - Paypal font, headed notepaper etc. but asks for your credit card info and what\'s more, your ATM PIN, so be warned: do not enter your credit card number - this is a scam.

Enjoy your day,

Amy

Full details:

Dear Pa
... See more
Hi there,

This morning I found a very convincing e-mail supposedly from Paypal in my Inbox - subject \"Dear Paypal Customer\".

The e-mail looks fairly convincing - Paypal font, headed notepaper etc. but asks for your credit card info and what\'s more, your ATM PIN, so be warned: do not enter your credit card number - this is a scam.

Enjoy your day,

Amy

Full details:

Dear PayPal Customer

This e-mail is the notification of recent innovations taken by PayPal to detect inactive customers and non-functioning mailboxes.

The inactive customers are subject to restriction and removal in the next 3 months.

Please confirm your email address and and Credit Card info number by logging in to your PayPal account using the form below:

Email Address:

Password:

Full Name #:

Credit Card #:

Exp.Date(mm/yyyy) #:

ATM PIN (For Bank Verification) #:

This notification expires May 31, 2003

Thanks for using PayPal!

This PayPal notification was sent to your mailbox. Your PayPal account is set up to receive the PayPal Periodical newsletter and product updates when you create your account. To modify your notification preferences and unsubscribe, go to (web address) and log in to your account. Changes to your preferences may take several days to be reflected in our mailings. Replies to this email will not be processed.

If you previously asked to be excluded from Providian product offerings and solicitations, they apologize for this e-mail. Every effort was made to ensure that you were excluded from this e-mail. If you do not wish to receive promotional e-mail from Providian, go to (web address).

Copyright© 2002 PayPal Inc. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks and brands are the property of their respective owners.

[Edited at 2003-05-21 06:29]

Collapse

Ralf Lemster
Ralf Lemster  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 19:50
English to German
+ ...
Do you know the source? May 21, 2003

Thanks for the alert, Amy. It\'s worth noting that this is obviously not being sent out by PayPal (which is why I have taken the liberty to clarify your thread title).

Could you perhaps add information as to which sender\'s address/domain was shown (I fully realise that it\'s bound to be fake...)?

Best regards, Ralf

awilliams
awilliams
United Kingdom
Local time: 18:50
Italian to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
yes May 21, 2003

Thanks Ralf - think the early morning has affected my brain slightly! Yes, worth stating that this is not a scam from within Paypal.com but from a spammer with a fake e-mail address.

The \"From\" field on the e-mail is a fake e-
... See more
Thanks Ralf - think the early morning has affected my brain slightly! Yes, worth stating that this is not a scam from within Paypal.com but from a spammer with a fake e-mail address.

The \"From\" field on the e-mail is a fake e-mail address \"Paysecurity\" .

From the full headers:

Date: Tue, 20 May 2003 22:04:04 +0000

Subject: Dear PayPal Customer

To: Ace_williams

[Edited at 2003-05-21 06:59]

[Edited at 2003-05-21 07:00]

[Edited at 2003-05-21 07:02]

[Edited at 2003-05-21 07:03]
Collapse

Rick Henry
Rick Henry  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 12:50
Italian to English
+ ...
Bottom Line... May 21, 2003

You should NEVER enter credit card info from a link to a website in any email. Always go directly to the site (in this case, www.paypal.com), outside of your email client, to verify.

R.

==

Suzanne Blangsted (X)
Suzanne Blangsted (X)  Identity Verified
Local time: 10:50
Danish to English
+ ...
scams and hoaxes May 25, 2003

here is a list of the US Governments list of known hoaxes and scams. Click on the URL and you will find many categories.

http://hoaxbusters.ciac.org/

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Warning: Paypal credit card scam alert (fake emails asking for CC details)

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »