Thread poster: Dr_Serge

Dr_Serge  Identity Verified
Belarus
Local time: 20:24
Member (2008)
English to Russian
+ ...
Aug 14, 2008

A client (an agency) wants me to make a glossary after I have done two projects, and there are two more on the same subject. Should I charge for it? How much? Or, perhaps, a glossary is a part of any translation and does not imply being paid? Up to now clients provided me with their glossaries.

[Edited at 2008-08-14 18:59]

Direct link Reply with quote

Katalin Horváth McClure  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 12:24
Member (2002)
English to Hungarian
+ ...
Hourly rate Aug 14, 2008

Of course you should charge for it. Glossary creation is usually part of prep work, either done by the end client, the agency's in-house language leads, or their freelancer language leads. If they don't work with teams, only a translator-editor pair, it is often the editor they ask to create the glossary, then the translator translates, then the editor edits the translation. At least these were the scenarios I dealt with so far.
In either case, the glossary creation was a task in itself, with its own line item on the invoice. It is best to charge by the hour.

Make sure you discuss the specifics with the agency in terms of the format of the glossary (some of them are only talking about a list of source terms paired with target terms, but others want a sample sentence in both source and target, a classification of the term (verb, noun, etc), tracking info (creator, date, validation etc.)

Just make sure you understand what is involved before giving them an estimate.

Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Local time: 18:24
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
Depends what the client wants Aug 14, 2008

DrSerge wrote:
A client (an agency) wants me to make a glossary after I have done two projects, and there are two more on the same subject. Should I charge for it?

Yes, but what does the client want? Did the client give you a list of words to translate? If not, how many words do the client expect to be in the glossary?

Dr_Serge  Identity Verified
Belarus
Local time: 20:24
Member (2008)
English to Russian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Hourly rate / Depends what the client wants Aug 14, 2008

Thank you Katalin. Thank you Samuel. No details regarding the glossary have been discussed with the client so far. They just suggested me to "please, think about sending us the glossary". I decided to take a time out and post a question at ProZ forum instead of starting discussing the details with them right away.

Sergei Leshchinsky  Identity Verified
Ukraine
Local time: 19:24
Member (2008)
English to Russian
+ ...
It takes time Aug 14, 2008

DrSerge wrote:
... to make a glossary after I have done two projects, and there are two more on the same subject. Should I charge for it?

You may use any terms extraction function in any CAT tool, but you will never have a full list of terms. You will have to check the results. It takes time to scroll the bilingual texts and look for the terms. Charge per hour.

Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Local time: 18:24
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
Perhaps they want the TM? Aug 15, 2008

DrSerge wrote:
They just suggested me to "please, think about sending us the glossary".

The fact that they call it "the glossary" and not "a glossary" makes me think that they are referring to something that is automatically created by a CAT tool, such as a translation memory. I have encountered this before, that the TM is called "glossary". Another misnomer I often encounter is "dictionary" when referring to a spell-checking file, and "translator" when referring to a dictionary.

Sergei Leshchinsky  Identity Verified
Ukraine
Local time: 19:24
Member (2008)
English to Russian
+ ...
generate Aug 15, 2008

DrSerge wrote:
They just suggested me to "please, think about sending us the glossary".

If they seem to expect something automatically generated, try making it with Term Extraction Tool (many CATs have it).

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Making a glossary

Advanced search

Translation news

Across v6.3
Translation Toolkit and Sales Potential under One Roof

Apart from features that enable you to translate more efficiently, the new Across Translator Edition v6.3 comprises your crossMarket membership. The new online network for Across users assists you in exploring new sales potential and generating revenue.

More info »
WordFinder
The words you want Anywhere, Anytime

WordFinder is the market's fastest and easiest way of finding the right word, term, translation or synonym in one or more dictionaries. In our assortment you can choose among more than 120 dictionaries in 15 languages from leading publishers.

More info »

All of ProZ.com
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs