There ARE some good agencies out there!
Thread poster: Alex Farrell (X)
Alex Farrell (X)
Alex Farrell (X)  Identity Verified
Japan
Local time: 21:33
Japanese to English
Aug 15, 2008

I know of course that we usually seek out advice and help when something goes wrong, hence the gloomy atmosphere on the board, but just to add a little brightness, I thought I'd share a good experience. One of my long-time customers with whom I have a great working relationship asked me to do a trial translation for a bid on a big project--and they paid me for the trial! I don't know if this is common or rare, but in my experience I have done several trials to be used in bids for free.
... See more
I know of course that we usually seek out advice and help when something goes wrong, hence the gloomy atmosphere on the board, but just to add a little brightness, I thought I'd share a good experience. One of my long-time customers with whom I have a great working relationship asked me to do a trial translation for a bid on a big project--and they paid me for the trial! I don't know if this is common or rare, but in my experience I have done several trials to be used in bids for free.

Anybody else got some really nice experiences?

- Alex
Collapse

patyjs
patyjs  Identity Verified
Mexico
Local time: 06:33
Spanish to English
+ ...
Oh, yes! Aug 15, 2008

I do work for a quite high-profile NGO. I have always charged a very low rate. My contact recently upped my rate by 30% and then a few weeks later paid me a further 10% for a rush job. Both of these were completely out of the blue.

Okay, so it's a direct client but I have also been paid more by an agency when I mentioned (not complained) that a transcription had taken more time than I had anticipated because of a sudden drop in quality half way through the audio.

It'
... See more
I do work for a quite high-profile NGO. I have always charged a very low rate. My contact recently upped my rate by 30% and then a few weeks later paid me a further 10% for a rush job. Both of these were completely out of the blue.

Okay, so it's a direct client but I have also been paid more by an agency when I mentioned (not complained) that a transcription had taken more time than I had anticipated because of a sudden drop in quality half way through the audio.

It's so nice to be able to share these good experiences...thanks, Alex.

Paty

[Edited at 2008-08-15 02:41]
Collapse

Viktoria Gimbe
Viktoria Gimbe  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 08:33
English to French
+ ...
Paying for it is common - offering to pay for it is much more uncommon Aug 15, 2008

In my experience, if the client is serious, they will agree to pay for the test. This is not uncommon. What is uncommon is for clients to offer to pay for a test. Usually, you have to nag them. They basically try you on, seeing as many freelancers (mostly wannabe translators) seem to believe that a free test is something you owe to a client in order to get paid work. But usually, if you tell them that you expect to be paid for it since your time as is precious as theirs, they pay - or you never ... See more
In my experience, if the client is serious, they will agree to pay for the test. This is not uncommon. What is uncommon is for clients to offer to pay for a test. Usually, you have to nag them. They basically try you on, seeing as many freelancers (mostly wannabe translators) seem to believe that a free test is something you owe to a client in order to get paid work. But usually, if you tell them that you expect to be paid for it since your time as is precious as theirs, they pay - or you never hear back from them. I don't mind, because then I don't waste any more time on those prospects.

However, your client must be a really good one, because I was only offered a paid test once - the paid tests I have done all required an explanation of why I expect to be paid for them. Now that I know that good clients don't mind paying for tests, I am done with free tests. Never again...

P.S.: With clients that don't want to pay for a test yet seem serious enough otherwise, you can offer to be paid for the test and then deduct that amount off your invoice for the paid work if and when they assign it to you. It is only fair - and serious prospects tend to agree.
Collapse

Peter Manda (X)
Peter Manda (X)
Local time: 08:33
German to English
+ ...
Good agencies - I work w/ 2 Aug 15, 2008

I went through a lot of agencies. Some were more nuanced than others; but 2 agencies consistently gave honest work, were consitently patient and understanding, and consitently paid fairly. The end result has been that I do my core work for them - when they ask me to do something, I set everything aside for their projects. Their professionalism and approach - priceliess; my loyalty - undivided.

M. Anna Kańduła
M. Anna Kańduła  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 13:33
English to Polish
Yes Aug 15, 2008

Alex Farrell wrote:

Anybody else got some really nice experiences?

- Alex

Just recently I had similar case - regular agency offering me to pay for the test translation for a new client.

Also the same agency offered me to pay for translation that I was supposed to do, but the client cancelled it later. Luckily I translated only 2 words (literally), so there was no need of paying me and I didn't waste any time too. But it was nice to know they respected my time and were ready to pay for translation, even if they wouldn't be paid for it and no one wanted it any longer

To add to it very friendly and always helpful PMs - I really like to work with them

Anni

vicksy nurhayati
vicksy nurhayati  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 19:33
English to Indonesian
+ ...
Me too Aug 15, 2008

Yes, I thought a test job will always be free of charge, but no, they sent me the PO!

Marijke Singer
Marijke Singer  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 14:33
Dutch to English
+ ...
Paid tests Aug 15, 2008

I sometimes do test translations for a couple of agencies for which I do a lot of work. It is usually for a new customer they are trying to get and they always pay me my normal rate. They view it as an investment. I tend to shy away from test translations when it is unpaid.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

There ARE some good agencies out there!

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »