PayPal or Moneybookers?
Thread poster: Jana Součková
Mahmoud Rayyan
Mahmoud Rayyan  Identity Verified
Egypt
Local time: 11:49
English to Arabic
I hate moneybookers Aug 31, 2008

Actually you are not alone in this situation, I also opened an account in moneybooker and I discovered that they are blocking my account and after weeks from sending them the required documents they unlocked the account, and guess what, after a couple of days the unlocked the account again.
I hate that
and you know I believe the support of moneybookers is the worst, In my case I had to wait for around ten days till I got a reply from them and now I am waiting for the second reply to
... See more
Actually you are not alone in this situation, I also opened an account in moneybooker and I discovered that they are blocking my account and after weeks from sending them the required documents they unlocked the account, and guess what, after a couple of days the unlocked the account again.
I hate that
and you know I believe the support of moneybookers is the worst, In my case I had to wait for around ten days till I got a reply from them and now I am waiting for the second reply to unlock my account.
I will never use it again if i have the choice.
Regards
Rayyan
Collapse

Tom in London
Tom in London
United Kingdom
Local time: 10:49
Member (2008)
Italian to English
very interesting Sep 1, 2008

I found all of these comments very interesting.

It seems that alas, whatever way you get paid, you always lose on (a) the transaction (b) the currency exchange, if you are changing from one currency to another.

Interesting to read about the problems with PayPal and Moneybookers. It sounds as if the only sensible way is bank transfer (IBAN not SWIFT as swift is expensive!)

At least I hope everyone is registering the *amount actually received* as their taxabl
... See more

It seems that alas, whatever way you get paid, you always lose on (a) the transaction (b) the currency exchange, if you are changing from one currency to another.

Interesting to read about the problems with PayPal and Moneybookers. It sounds as if the only sensible way is bank transfer (IBAN not SWIFT as swift is expensive!)

At least I hope everyone is registering the *amount actually received* as their taxable income !
Collapse

Per Magnus
Per Magnus  Identity Verified
English to Norwegian
Not quite Sep 1, 2008

Tom in London wrote:

At least I hope everyone is registering the *amount actually received* as their taxable income !

It is a lot easier to avoid involving the IRS when you use PayPal or Moneybookers, and that is probably why they institute these elaborate schemes.
Using bank transfer is horrendously expensive when it comes to small amounts (say less than USD 200) when you transfer from one continent to another; PP and MB are quick and almost free.

[Edited at 2008-09-01 15:11]

Mahmoud Rayyan
Egypt
English to Arabic
Can you explain this please Sep 1, 2008

Tom in London wrote:

Sorry Tom but I can't understand that, what is the difference between SWIFT and IBAN?
and do you have choice among them?

Uldis Liepkalns
Uldis Liepkalns  Identity Verified
Latvia
Local time: 12:49
Member (2003)
English to Latvian
+ ...
SWIFT and IBAN Sep 1, 2008

SWIFT is the same as BIC (Bank Identification Code), say, for my Bank it is "HABALV22", while IBAN is your Bank account number by EU standards - you have it if you have your account in any EU Bank - it conssists of 21 characters/numbers without spaces.

HTH,

Uldis

Added- needless to say that you don't have to pay for your Bank's SWIFT/BIC, as for IBAN - you are charged by your Bank a regular yearly fee for servicing your account as usual (there are no other
... See more
SWIFT is the same as BIC (Bank Identification Code), say, for my Bank it is "HABALV22", while IBAN is your Bank account number by EU standards - you have it if you have your account in any EU Bank - it conssists of 21 characters/numbers without spaces.

HTH,

Uldis

Added- needless to say that you don't have to pay for your Bank's SWIFT/BIC, as for IBAN - you are charged by your Bank a regular yearly fee for servicing your account as usual (there are no other account Numbers but those in IBAN standard in the EU).

U.

Mahmoud Rayyan wrote:
Sorry Tom but I can't understand that, what is the difference between SWIFT and IBAN?
and do you have choice among them?

[Rediģēts plkst. 2008-09-01 18:14]
Collapse

JaneTranslates
JaneTranslates  Identity Verified
Puerto Rico
Local time: 05:49
Spanish to English
+ ...
Is this a scam? Sep 1, 2008

francesca battaglia wrote:

ah! I've just come through some hard questioning with Paypal, and this is not the first time, since they blocked my account to VERIFY IT.
My account was blocked for about 4-5 days, I had to send a copy of my ID, a bill and my bank account statement - something I wasn't really keen to send.

Francesca, I may be completely mistaken here, but this sounds to me like a scam perpetrated in PayPal's name. Are you 100% sure that your communications have been with PayPal? I've gotten lots of emails purporting to come from PayPal and asking me to verify my personal and banking info. They are FAKE and should be forwarded to [email protected]. You will get a reply from PayPal telling you whether the email was a genuine communication from them.

As I said, your case may be something completely different, but I had to ask, just in case.

PayPal has worked great for me. I've never tried MB.

Jane

Francesca Battaglia
Francesca Battaglia
Italy
English to Italian
+ ...
oh Jane! Sep 1, 2008

oh Jane I'm gonna have nightmares tonight!
Luckily I have a decent email provider that filters all of the junk emails, also thos fake scams from paypal or banks, post offices etc...
I've noticed this whole paypal situation directly on the paypal website one day after verifying a payment so I believe this should be actually Paypal.
BTW, gosh I'm going straight on the paypal website to check again! I'm so freakin scared of those scam things, I'm such a dumb blond sometimes...es
... See more
oh Jane I'm gonna have nightmares tonight!
Luckily I have a decent email provider that filters all of the junk emails, also thos fake scams from paypal or banks, post offices etc...
I've noticed this whole paypal situation directly on the paypal website one day after verifying a payment so I believe this should be actually Paypal.
BTW, gosh I'm going straight on the paypal website to check again! I'm so freakin scared of those scam things, I'm such a dumb blond sometimes...especially with financial-related issues..my accountant knows...

[Edited at 2008-09-01 21:45]
Collapse

Mahmoud Rayyan
Egypt
English to Arabic
Thanks Uldis Sep 2, 2008

Thanks Uldis for the clarification.

Pages in topic:   < [1 2]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

PayPal or Moneybookers?

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »