translator fees
Thread poster: marianarauch (X)
marianarauch (X)
marianarauch (X)
Spanish to English
Aug 29, 2008

Hi! I have to translate several pages from Spanish to English and I don´t know how to charge it. The cliente asked me for a budget so if anyone can help me with this...VERY WELCOME!

Thanks!
Mariana

Henry Hinds
Henry Hinds  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 13:18
English to Spanish
+ ...
In memoriam
By the word Aug 30, 2008

Charge by the word from the source text; but how much?

Word has it that US$ 0.04 per word is very low, but 0.12 might be high, depending on the market you are in and how much skill and reputation you have.

Nicole Schnell
Nicole Schnell  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 12:18
English to German
+ ...
In memoriam
Is it a direct client or an agency? Where is your client located? Aug 30, 2008

"Asking for a budget" sounds like a direct client, which means that you have to hire (and pay!) a third party for proofreading / editing.

@Henry: Those rates that you stated are certainly not meant for the US market, right? Because then the first one would be a proofreading rate, the latter one a minimum.

Valeria_2323 (X)
Valeria_2323 (X)
Argentina
Local time: 16:18
English to Spanish
Tarifa Aug 30, 2008

Hi Mariana,

I think it depends on the difficulty of the text, the amount of words and even the deadline of the work, the client, etc...
Can you give some details about the text? I charge more for technical texts because they need more investigation and take more time than literary texts.

[Edited at 2008-08-30 21:48]

Erzsébet Czopyk
Erzsébet Czopyk  Identity Verified
Hungary
Local time: 21:18
Member (2006)
Russian to Hungarian
+ ...
SITE LOCALIZER
starting fee Aug 30, 2008

Usually 0.07 EUR/source word

Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Local time: 21:18
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
Based on what Aug 31, 2008

Erzsébet Czopyk wrote:
Usually 0.07 EUR/source word

What do you base this on?

[Edited at 2008-08-31 10:54]

marianarauch (X)
marianarauch (X)
Spanish to English
TOPIC STARTER
translator fees Aug 31, 2008

thanks to everyone! the text is a website about "milongas", tango for foreigner. I still do not know how long it will be but for sure the cliente will ask for a budget. I was thinking about Argentinian $30 per page.

Any further suggestion will be very welcome!

Thanks again
Mariana

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

translator fees

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »