transcription rates
Thread poster: imane stanton
imane stanton
imane stanton  Identity Verified
English
+ ...
Sep 9, 2008

I am doing my first so called transcription and translation job. The mmeting itself lasts 2 hours + poor quality and there is a small doc to translate as well.

I am charging by the hour then wondered whether they were expecting me to charge 2 hours??? it certainly willtake way longer than that. Any feedback would be much appreciated.

samehme
samehme
United States
Local time: 17:55
English to Arabic
+ ...
You should charge by hour of work and.. Sep 9, 2008

not the duration of the video. Of course, it will take you more to transcribe the video.. From my experience, it may take 3-5 hours of work transcribing one hour of video.

Good luck,

Sameh

Textpertise
Textpertise  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 01:55
Member (2008)
Dutch to English
+ ...
4 to 6 hours is average for good sound quality Sep 9, 2008

Have been transcribing and supervising transcription since 1974. An average typist with a good speed will take between 4 to 6 hours per hour of original to transcribe recorded material which is clearly audible. If the material is not of optimum sound quality or there is background noise or if it is a group discussion with people interrupting each other, it is impossible to tell how long transcription will take and therefore it is very difficult to quote on this type of job. You need to estimate ... See more
Have been transcribing and supervising transcription since 1974. An average typist with a good speed will take between 4 to 6 hours per hour of original to transcribe recorded material which is clearly audible. If the material is not of optimum sound quality or there is background noise or if it is a group discussion with people interrupting each other, it is impossible to tell how long transcription will take and therefore it is very difficult to quote on this type of job. You need to estimate and you can often lose out. If those instructing you are in any way experienced, they should realise that it will be more than two hours of transcription time. However, you should always make this clear when you quote.Collapse

JPW (X)
JPW (X)  Identity Verified
Local time: 01:55
Spanish to English
+ ...
Just a general point- Sep 9, 2008

If those instructing you are in any way experienced, they should realise that it will be more than two hours of transcription time. However, you should always make this clear when you quote.

Absolutely.

You need to estimate and you can often lose out.

It doesn't have to be like that.

If you quote, and they accept, then your hands are tied if it takes substantially longer than you thought.

If you give an estimate and make it clear that you may have to revise (upwards) depending on the quality, then you are free to do so (within reason of course). And they should accept that.

So, it's the difference between quoting a price and estimating a price. If you are in doubt about the quality of the material supplied, it is safer to give an estimate.

1279 (X)
1279 (X)
Local time: 20:55
Transcription takes much longer than it seems like it should Sep 9, 2008

If you are in doubt about the quality of the material supplied, it is safer to give an estimate.

I like this idea, although I've never done it myself.

I do a lot of transcription as well, and I've settled on a per-audio-minute rate that pretty much always nets me a per-hour rate in my target range. However, it always varies slightly depending on the recording quality. I would definitely listen to a sample of audio from a new client before quoting the project, because some audio is really difficult and I would charge more. Since you haven't done much of this kind of work before, you might even consider transcribing a few minutes of the audio before you get the job, just so that you don't quote way too low. (Consider it a small investment in your sanity. When I first started transcribing a couple of years ago, I wasn't sure about how to charge either...so my first job took me about a week to complete and I earned about $90.) Frankly, with a recording such as the one you described, I can't imagine it would take you any less than three full business days to transcribe verbatim (using a pedal!) It is very easy to underestimate the amount of work it takes for transcription/translation. Consider yourself warned!

Juan Chen
Juan Chen  Identity Verified
China
Member (2008)
English to Chinese
+ ...
I dislike this kind of job Sep 11, 2008

Low rate and time wasting

Tatjana Hardy
Tatjana Hardy  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 02:55
Spanish to French
+ ...
Average transcritpion rates??? Nov 19, 2008

Hello to everyone!

I was just sent a transcription job offer. It is a less than one hour audio. I really do not have any idea of how to quote this kind of jobs. Can you please give me an example of the rates you apply?

Tanks in advance.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

transcription rates

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »