Mobile menu

Seeking for assistance in respect of TRADOS anslsysis quoting
Thread poster: Juan Chen

Juan Chen  Identity Verified
Member (2008)
English to Chinese
+ ...
Sep 9, 2008

I have a big project of two files. By using Trados, the word count analysis is as follows:

Match types Segments Words Percent
Repetitions 2199 20640 40%
100% 0 0 0%
95%-99% 1 3 0%
85%-94% 2 3 0%
75%-84% 0 0 0%
50%-74% 0 0 0%

No match: 2427 30707 60%
Total 4629 51353 100%

If my normal rate is USD XXX per source word. How can I quote according to such analysis?

It is an urgent matter. Thank you for your prompt response.

Direct link Reply with quote

Member (2008)
English to Chinese
+ ...
To be more specific, Sep 9, 2008

I need a fuzzy table, thank you

Claudia Alvis  Identity Verified
Local time: 18:36
Partial member
+ ...
Fuzzy rates Sep 9, 2008

Here are my fuzzy rates, but you should determine your rates based on your own needs.

No Match Full rate

Repetitions 33% of Full rate
100% match 33% of Full rate
99% - 85% 66% of Full rate
84% - 0% 100% of Full rate

You should apply fuzzy rates at your own discretion and only if your client sends you a high-quality TM. If the TM is crap, you'd end up working more. Still, you don't have to apply a rate for fuzzy matches if you don't want to. You could use CATCount to calculate your totals.

I hope that helped.

Member (2008)
English to Chinese
+ ...
Thank you, Claudia Sep 9, 2008

Just now a Chinese translator told me to ask for Repetitions at 20%

How silly of me:(

Jan Willem van Dormolen  Identity Verified
Local time: 01:36
English to Dutch
+ ...
Any way you want Sep 9, 2008

First off: you don't have to give discounts for matches, be they partial or full. Of course, that means you're less liable to get the job, but it's up to you.
As to what percentages to use when you DO give discounts, again that's entirely your choice. There are no rules here. Many agencies demand discounts, and many have standard rates for the different levels of matches. But these vary widely from agency to agency. This is a free market, so do whatever you feel is good for you.
That said, a general average of what is common among agencies would be something like:
No match -> 100%
00-75% match -> 100%
75-85% match -> 80%
85-95% match -> 50%
95-99% match -> 25%
full match -> 10%

Anything below this, I would consider too strongly biased towards the agency.
Many agencies will try and make you accept 0% for full matches. DONOT fall for that, full matches cost time and effort too, if only because the same segment can have different translations in different contexts. (Not to mention bad previous translations in the TM)

Many colleagues don't give discounts for partial matches at all. They say that they invested in the TM software, so they should reap the benefits. Others do give discounts, but raise their base rate so that the end result (payment) is the same. It's all up to you to negotiate.

Jan Willem

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Seeking for assistance in respect of TRADOS anslsysis quoting

Advanced search

Translation news

Déjà Vu X3
Try it, Love it

Find out why Déjà Vu is today the most flexible, customizable and user-friendly tool on the market. See the brand new features in action: *Completely redesigned user interface *Live Preview *Inline spell checking *Inline

More info »
The words you want Anywhere, Anytime

WordFinder is the market's fastest and easiest way of finding the right word, term, translation or synonym in one or more dictionaries. In our assortment you can choose among more than 120 dictionaries in 15 languages from leading publishers.

More info »

All of
  • All of
  • Term search
  • Jobs