Mobile menu

Published translation - on what basis should it be charged?
Thread poster: O. Morais

O. Morais
Local time: 20:21
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Sep 12, 2008

I have been given the job of translating a self-help book by a publisher, and this will be my first published translation, so I am not familiar with the prices practised in this type of projects. This translation will require quite a lot of work in terms of adaptation, so I wonder on what basis should I charge for this translation - word? page? chapter? by the hour? Your opinions would be very helpful. Thanks!

[Subject edited by staff or moderator 2008-09-12 11:57]

Direct link Reply with quote

Henry Hinds  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 14:21
English to Spanish
+ ...
Word Sep 12, 2008

Pages and chapters can contain any number of words, so that doesn't work, and clients will be reluctant to pay by the hour.

Calculate the number of words, and then from there take into account the difficulty of the text. From what you say, that is a factor.

Your normal rate + difficulty factor X words = price

Ana Rita Simões  Identity Verified
Portugal
Member (2009)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
from my little experience with publishing houses... Sep 13, 2008

Hello O.,

In Portugal, usually publishers pay Y x page with 1800 characters (usually without spaces). However, since you say it will require a lot of adaptation, you may consider charging also some kind of hourly fee - but I'm not sure how it works, since I never did this. Usually it's the editor's assistants' job to do the adaptation, but if you agreed with that, I don't think it should be charged as translation - it's creative/research work.

Maybe you can ask the publisher how they usually pay/prefer to pay this kind of assignment..

Hope it helps you somehow

Ana Rita Simões  Identity Verified
Portugal
Member (2009)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
forgot to say! Sep 13, 2008

The Y x 1800 characters is calculated from your translation - the text in Portuguese.

Rimma Kehr
Germany
Local time: 21:21
German to English
+ ...
Published translation - on what basis should it be charged? Sep 14, 2008

Hi,

for German translators, it is usually to count the target text in so called "Normal line"=55 chars, but with "Space" key and "Enter" too.
The price for this "Normal line" depends on the text difficulty.

Hope to help you.

Best regards

Rimma Kehr

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Published translation - on what basis should it be charged?

Advanced search

Translation news

WordFinder
The words you want Anywhere, Anytime

WordFinder is the market's fastest and easiest way of finding the right word, term, translation or synonym in one or more dictionaries. In our assortment you can choose among more than 120 dictionaries in 15 languages from leading publishers.

More info »
Déjà Vu X3
Try it, Love it

Find out why Déjà Vu is today the most flexible, customizable and user-friendly tool on the market. See the brand new features in action: *Completely redesigned user interface *Live Preview *Inline spell checking *Inline

More info »

All of ProZ.com
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs