What are your experiences in setting deadlines for payments?
Thread poster: Mike Osman
Mike Osman
Mike Osman  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 05:59
Member (2013)
English to Somali
+ ...
Jun 3, 2003

I am getting a bit tired of having to wait long periods of time for payments for jobs that I have finished and returned in good time.
I was thinking, I should set deadlines for my payments whatever the clients policy is.
I would like your opinions on the subject, please tell me of your experiences whether negative or positive.

Thank you in advance.

Mike

Marc P (X)
Marc P (X)  Identity Verified
Local time: 06:59
German to English
+ ...
Setting deadlines Jun 4, 2003

I have never negotiated deadlines for payment. But most of my customers are located in Germany, where companies generally pay fairly promptly anyway, and because most of them do so, I can afford to wait a little longer for those that don't.

In fact, generally, I don't mind waiting longer as such. Certainly there is no point complaining when the customer has made it clear from the outset that they only pay after 60 days, or whatever. I often hear the comment about particular agencies
... See more
I have never negotiated deadlines for payment. But most of my customers are located in Germany, where companies generally pay fairly promptly anyway, and because most of them do so, I can afford to wait a little longer for those that don't.

In fact, generally, I don't mind waiting longer as such. Certainly there is no point complaining when the customer has made it clear from the outset that they only pay after 60 days, or whatever. I often hear the comment about particular agencies, in particular, that they are "slow payers but otherwise a good customer", so I presume many colleagues feel the same way. What I would object to is having to chase customers in order to get paid at all.

My advice is: if prompt payment is important to you, negotiate deadlines for payment when you accept an order, and if your customer doesn't observe the agreed terms, simply stop working for them.

Marc
Collapse

Ralf Lemster
Ralf Lemster  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 06:59
English to German
+ ...
Enforcing deadlines Jun 4, 2003

My advice is: if prompt payment is important to you, negotiate deadlines for payment when you accept an order, and if your customer doesn't observe the agreed terms, simply stop working for them.

Marc, I couldn't agree more.

Best, Ralf

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

What are your experiences in setting deadlines for payments?

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »