Mobile menu

Invoicing a finished job in Italy: cartelle?
Thread poster: mezacc

mezacc  Identity Verified
English to German
+ ...
Jun 5, 2003

Hello all!

I recently finished a translation job for an Italian company and am now at the point of sending them an invoice. We of course discussed money matters prior to me starting, but due to the very short deadline I was eager to start. "At the end of the work" we would "reckon the real quantity" of cartelle. Here's my question/problem:

In Italy it's apparently custom to calculate translations based on "cartelles" (not per word or line). The way it was explained to me (in so-so English) is that this is "a page of 1500 bytes". Does this make sense? Do they maybe mean characters? I've already asked them again, but didn't receive a very clear answer. I don't want to appear unprofessional (or stupid!) so before I ask them again, I thought I'd give the forums a chance... Thanks!

Direct link Reply with quote

Francisca van der Veen
Local time: 15:29
English to Dutch
+ ...
cartelle Jun 23, 2003

Hi. The cartelle in Italy are 1500 characters, spaces included. On average these are about 230 words. Prices vary from about 15 euros to 30 euros. Usually I try to agree a price per word anyway, but that is not always easy. Anyway, hope this helps.
Good luck! Francisca

Direct link Reply with quote

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Invoicing a finished job in Italy: cartelle?

Advanced search

Translation news

PerfectIt consistency checker
Faster Checking, Greater Accuracy

PerfectIt helps deliver error-free documents. It improves consistency, ensures quality and helps to enforce style guides. It’s a powerful tool for pro users, and comes with the assurance of a 30-day money back guarantee.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

More info »

All of
  • All of
  • Term search
  • Jobs